Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #1

Any Belgians Out There?

So, I'm working in Antwerp for the next several weeks and I'm wondering if there are any Belgians (or anyone else, of course) that can suggest some things to go shoot while I'm here. I'm looking more for non-tourist type things. I have a car so I can get pretty much anywhere.

I did the city center area last weekend and will probably do either Gent or Rotterdam this weekend. I'm also doing a trip to where I was born in Germany as it's less than 3 hours away. Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Slick

06-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wim (aka Ishpuini) is in Belgium, IIRC. Not sure if it's Antwerp, tho.

-E
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some suggestions

Hi,

I think your criterium about non-touristic is a bit difficult. Anything worthwile is bound to attract at least 'some' tourists.
A good idea indeed is to visit some of the cities like Gent. I would add Leuven (old university), Brugge and perhaps even Brussel.
Another nice outing is a drive through the Ardennes (South - East). That way you can stop where ever you like the scenery or in some pitoresque towns.
If you are more into nature walks, there is a nice place close to Antwerp in Kalmthout. An impression: Zenfolio | Bart Dejonghe | 2007 Kalmthoutse Heide.
Where to find: De Zoom - Kalmthoutse Heide
If you are into river scenes, there is a nice village 'near' Gent: Sint-Martens-Latem.
An impression: Zenfolio | Bart Dejonghe | Leie Sint-Martens-Latem
About: Sint-Martens-Latem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A final suggestion: try to sample some of our cuisine: a lot of nice restaurants all over the country. And don't forget to sample the beer and the chocolates.

Have fun!

ps perhaps it is best to avoid the highways going South this weekend: the holliday 'exodus' is beginning.
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions Bart.

I had thought about the Ardennes and Brugges before but forgot to mention them. There's a lot to see in the area. I understand what you mean about the non-tourist areas. I'm looking for places that tourists usually don't get to like picturesque small towns and such. I'm sure I'll find some during my travels.

Kalmthoutse Heide sound very interesting. Great pictures in your portfolio. That's one I'll have to check out.

I had a few beers last weekend sitting in a cafe near the Grote Markt. Pretty good. 2 down 388 or so to go, lol. The chocolate I'll get to at some point and I can't wait to try some of the local food, I just haven't done it yet. And thanks for the traffic tip. Driving here is interesting.

Slick

06-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- Around Antwerp there are plenty of shooting opportunities. Don't miss the port of Antwerp, there are quite some locations where you have an overview of the port and can nice shots. If you can, do that in the evening when the sun is setting: beautiful!

- Mortsel is my favourate place if your in for street photography.

- Little cities like Lier, Duffel, Boom (that's where Ishpuini - Wim - lives BTW),... are very pitoresque like Bruges, but not very touristique (especially if you go in the week.)

- the left bench of Antwerp itself is a favourite place of mine.

But there is a lot. Too much to place here...

As you have guessed, I'm from Belgium to, living in a little city called Boechout, 10 km from Antwerp. Maybe we can meet if you have the time?

BTW: where do you work?
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Pentaxke and thanks for the suggestions.

You're right, there is a lot to see in the area. I figure I'll find a lot of good places as I travel around. I had thought about shooting somewhere at night or in the evening. It stays light here quite a bit later than I'm used to so that gives me more time to do it.

The biggest problem I'll have is that I probably won't be here that long, probably 6 weeks or so. I could spend months here and never see everything I want to.

I'm working at the Inesco plant near Zwijndrecht. The company I work for recently added a steam turbine in the facility and I'm here to troubleshoot some problems they are having.

A meet up sounds good. If you like, you can PM me and we can figure something out. You're actually not that far from where I'm staying (City Inn). Mortsel is about halfway. Maybe we can meet there?

Slick
06-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As Marc (Pentaxke) mentioned Antwerp's left bank (opposite town) is pretty interesting, though personally I prefer the right bank. Especially in summer the last hour or so before sunset when things start cooling down and lots of Antwerpians look for the coolness of the water along the boardwalk. The atmosphere is great then with many people picnicking, strolling or just sitting on the boulders along the river.

The harbour area is interesting too, esp if you can get in between the containers. The chemical industry offers some interesting colourful views at night.

But the city offers quite a few neighbourhoods that are nice for photography. I'm thinking about 't Eilandje (the little island) north of town, or 't Zuid (the south) just north of the new court house...

Wim

BTW: Marc, I no longer live in Boom, remember? It's Antwerp now... you already visited me in the new place... ;-)

06-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Ishpuini.

I actually was near the left bank yesterday. I got lost going to work (still figuring out the roads here, lol) and ended up somewhere over there. I had a really great view of Our Lady's Cathedral in the distance. I'm going to go back for that shot sometime.

I spent a little time on the right bank last weekend. It is nice and I need to go back in the evening as you said.

I'm thinking this weekend I'm going to check out Brugges on Saturday and some more of Antwerp on Sunday. I want to see the area near the diamond market and the central railroad station. I think those are close to each other.

If Marc and I meet and you would care to join us let me know. The more the merrier...