Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

if it continues after drying I'd try seeing if I could do a firmware update.

06-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's been several days and there has been no real improvement. But it has been very humid here during that time. As far as a firmware update is concerned, I already have 1.30 version firmware which is the latest posted by Pentax.

NaCl(but thanks for the tip anyway)H2O
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fingers crossed for ya, Salty!
06-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

How about setting it in front of a small electric heater, turned to the lowest setting.
I'd use a coffee filter between the camera and the heater, to hopefully filter out any airborn contaminates.

06-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think some mineral salts carried by the water are "shorting" the circuits in your camera. When water evaporates, those are left behind and some are able to carry voltage where it is not supposed to go. I sincerely hope after enough drying, your camera works again, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high. Good luck
06-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have had success washing out electronics with distilled water to remove any mineral salts that may be in them, but I wouldn't do it on a $600 camera/YMMV.
06-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Salty, since it's been quite awhile since the soaking, I'd *assume* the camera is pretty well dried out by now - you might get a can of spray electronics cleaner (the type that leaves no residue) and, sparingly, spray some on (into) the various controls that are having a problem. Do it with the camera off and vigorously "work" the controls. Give it awhile to evaporate and try the functions again. Hope it helps!! Good luck.

06-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #23

I've always used a hair dryer set on a low heat setting for these instances. As long as the heat isn't hot enough to melt stuff, it can dry a camera pretty quick, cuz you can aim it into all the places you need to get to. The warm air is a lot dryer than just leaving it in the humidity of normal air.
06-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #24
Inactive Account

The most important thing to do if something electronic gets wet is to remove all current flowing through the device.

Water, on its own, generally won't damage electronic components. It's when water hits a live electronic circuit and shorts out something that a problem occurs.

I speak in general terms, of course. The K10D is a humongously complex piece of equipment, and there may be residual current left in capacitors or memory that could still short it out. Water may even degrade the adhesives used in the camera.

But resist all temptation to power it up again, until you're convinced it's dry.

If you're desperate, you might try suspending it in pure isopropyl alcohol to displace the water, but if you've power it up already it may be too late.

And gods know what that'll do to the seals...
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bad luck, hope it gets better soon. Sure is a terrible feeling when it happens. The already mentioned contact cleaner might help in very small doses. Helped my glitchy DS thumb dial (it didn't get wet though).
Dad once drowned his Olympus OM4ti on a canoe trip. It is sealed to certain degree but water got in the lens and viewfinder. Grabbed the camera and removed the batteries (luckily it wasn't on). Took back off camera, removed lens and focusing screen. Wiped up as much water as possible then layed camera body on car heater set to low and dried it on the way home. Hot as heck in the car since it was summer time. Once home put it in zip lock bag with packs of the moisture remover. Left it that way for about 3 days. Cautiously put batteries back in camera and it worked ( I couldn't believe it). More than 10 years later the camera still works fine! Lens was trashed ( cheap zoom wasn't worth the rouble to fix).
Hope your camera works again
thanks
barondla

PS If you have to send camera in don't mention liquid damage. Many companies will think the worst and refuse to work on it! If they figure it out fine. If not - you get your camera repaired. This is true even if camera is sent in out of warranty.

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enteries for #8 end tonight. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dropped my K1000 in a stream about a foot of water or so. I blew out out with 2 cans of compressed air and was ready to go in an hour. Works like a good luck charm.

I hope you have the same luck
07-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #27
Forum Member

this sounds like a nightmare
how did u get water in cam exactly?