Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #1

Camera store in Orlando, Kissimmee, Fl.

Hi everybody,
I will be spending my vacation in Florida this year. I've been looking on the internet for a camera store in the Kissimmee and Orlando, Fl. areas that carries Pentax lenses. There are only very few.
I am looking for the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL and DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM. Most online shops just stock the kit lenses.
Since I am based in Europe I'd like to ask someone to direct me to a camera store, that carries these lenses.
I had already enquried at some online-shops, but one can't pick up the articles, since they don't have a physical store.
So please let me know who and where I can turn to in order to get the lenses. I can't believe there is no camera store in the area that stocks these lenses (I would call them well in advance anyway). May be I should have purchased a D300. Everyone seems to carry Nikon....

Regards from Europe,
nanoq

06-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ritz Camera is authorized to sell Pentax, but every time I've been at any of their stores, all they have are 1-2 DSLR models and maybe 2-3 lenses - all mainstream stuff.

You might be able to get them to order any lens for you, but it might take 2-4 weeks for them to get it.

Or you could purchase it at B&H photo and have them deliver to your hotel - you might need credit-card pre-approval to make sure the order isn't denied. All you need to do is call your credit card company and pre-approve the purchase.

Best of luck and enjoy Orlando!
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that most of the camera stores like Ritz or Wolf have gone to trying to compete with the big box electronic stores. By selling mobile phones, GPS, printers, etc. and installing print kiosks that take up room formerly used for equipment. They will usually be glad to order it for you from their warehouse if they have it in stock but they carry very little in equipment in the stores. They have attempted to become a seller of all things but a master of none. The Wolf near me doesn't even carry Ultracolor or Portra film anymore.

CW
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exactly - I think I've seen more DSLRs at a good Target than at most Ritz stores.

Up here we have a couple of camera stores and they all cater to the Canonikonites and claim they can order Pentax without problems. But by the time they quote me a price, I'm better off ordering from B&H at full price and still end up saving money.

I just had a thought - it might be a good idea to contact Orlando Camera Club and see if their members have any recommendations.

06-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #5

Hi nanoq.

There is a Ritz Camera store near the Florida Mall in Orlando that carries a decent amount of Pentax gear. I go in there often and bought the Pentax 18-250 there recently. They usually have the 50-135 in stock as well as a few others. There's a gentleman working there that is very helpful but I can't remember his name off hand. He's middle aged, thin, with glasses. There is also a Ritz in the mall but they don't seem to carry Pentax lenses so I wouldn't go to that one.

Ritz Camera
Special Tee Golf Plaza
1233 W. Sand Lake Road, Suite 8
Orlando, FL 32809
Phone: 407-240-6998

Ritz Camera - Florida Mall

I would also call Colonial Photo and Hobby. They usually don't carry much Pentax gear but it might be worth a phone call to see. Other than that Orlando is pretty dry as far as Pentax is concerned.

BTW, if you have any questions about Orlando feel free to ask. I've lived there since 1969 so I know my way around.

Enjoy!

Slick
06-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi again to all of you,
Well, it seems that my impression wasn't quite wrong. Everybody carries Canon and Nikon. I will get in touch with B&H as well as the Ritz-Store.
I will check out if B&H can arrange for a just in time delivery to my hotel. There isn't much of a time-slot for delivery. The CC pre-approval is a great hint.
I will just call Ritz if I can order the lenses by mail or phone and pick them up in roughly three weeks.

And, I will drop a line to the Orlando Camera Club - they should know - or use Nikons and Canons.

Thank you so much for your help!

Nanoq
06-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I went to Colonial Photo in July 2006, but they didn't have Pentax represented very well. I asked one of the counter guys where the Pentax digital stuff was. He pulled out a dusty 67 from behind the counter with a smirk. I paid the $12 for my one item and left.

07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi ericc,
I dropped a line to Colonial Photo. They didn't even bother to reply. Same with B&H.
Well now I am really thinking about selling my brand new K20D and lenses and stuff that I got as a birthday present. Those lenses I am looking for are about 35% less where you live compared to where I live...- but here I can get them within 25 minutes around the corner.
For me it makes more sense to get a D300 since I have a shelf packed with old but nice Nikkors.

Nanoq
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi slick,
Haven't yet called Ritz, but surely will -and thnx for the mapquest page. At least I will find my way to the store now. Still seems to be pretty difficult. B&H, Colonial and Harmon Photo don't even reply on mails....

nanoq
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi ericc,
As far as B&H is concerned, I received a reply a minute ago. My god, that's complicted to get something shipped to a hotel- no cc-payment but wire transfer and other stuff. But may be it's worthwile the hassle.

regards
nanoq
07-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hi Frogroast,
Thanks for directing me to the Orlando Camera Club. I got a reply to my mail within 48 hours. The chairman checked a couple of stores direcctly but to no avail. Not one single store carries Pentax. But he suggested to contact Ritz on Sand Lake Rd. since they do carry Pentax and are pretty big. I'll check.

Thanks for your hint.
Nanoq