QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
How to diffuse flash on Pentax MX-1
A small frosted plastic cup works.

More ideas:DIY Flash Diffuser for Point-n-Shoot Cameras - Steve's Digicams
12-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A translucent film canister (Fuji) cut to slide over the raised flash works very well.
12-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A translucent film canister (Fuji) cut to slide over the raised flash works very well.
That may work best of all.

12-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Even a decent paper towel or thick paper napkin can work wonders. Experiment and play!
12-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday I tried the film canister and found it to be no help at all with the LX7. It did nothing to reduce the flash glare. I tried a few other things - the one that worked best was the aluminum foil I folded into a square and held in front of the flash at an angle. Even then I needed to be really careful to get the tilt high enough to avoid have a part of the wall in front of me show a line of brighter light.

I wish I had a 3D printer... then I could fashion something that would fit over the flash and have the right tilt made of white plastic.
12-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yesterday I tried the film canister and found it to be no help at all with the LX7. It did nothing to reduce the flash glare. I tried a few other things - the one that worked best was the aluminum foil I folded into a square and held in front of the flash at an angle. Even then I needed to be really careful to get the tilt high enough to avoid have a part of the wall in front of me show a line of brighter light.

I wish I had a 3D printer... then I could fashion something that would fit over the flash and have the right tilt made of white plastic.

It's so small, the surface of a built-in flash.

I use a piece of Gary Fong Tupperware, the Puffer, which fits into a standard hotshoe, but it won't help you with your Panny.

12-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Get a cash register receipt and fold it into an envelope to slip over the flash, it works well. Make sure the printed side is out, it's heat sensitive and will be black after a half dozen shots if it faces the flash. I sometimes stop in at a convenience store and se eif they will give me a foot long strip, the store name is usually printed at the top to tell me which side goes out, but a printed one works just as well.

Cut it about 6 inches long. Fold that in half lengthwise. Fold that in thirds. You get a small envelope about 1 1/2 inches across. Put some clear tape on the back side to hold it together, then separate one layer and slip it over the flash, one layer in front of the flash works well. As long as you have the printed side away from the flash, it can be used for days. The last one I made for my K-x was used for about 3 weeks until it got crumpled up.