Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What? The HiTech one being discussed?
Mine is a Cokin Z-Pro, but the holders are all the same and all brands of 100x100mm or 100x150mm filters are interchangeable between holders. The important factor is the wide margin you get with a 100mm filter on a 77mm filter-thread lens with 10mm focal length. If you wanted to stack three threaded filters on the end of the Sigma 10-20, you would get vignetting at 10mm.

12-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
but the holders are all the same
Evidently this is not quite true, judging by the link I posted about the problems (which may have been corrected in later models).
12-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Evidently this is not quite true, judging by the link I posted about the problems (which may have been corrected in later models).
I see what you are saying.

To clarify, by "all the same" I meant they can all use the same 4" or 100mm filters. Lee filters fit in a Formatt holder, Formatt filters fit in a Cokin holder, etc.
12-15-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're on the same page now!

12-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's an old review; just wondering on the new filter holders if these issues have been addressed?
I received the filter holder today. The holder is secured to the adapter ring by tightening the knob on the side. Once tightened the holder does not move, unless you put a lot of pressure on it...much more pressure than the weight of the holder along with filters and CP. I'm confident it will work fine but haven't used it in the field yet. I should be able to try it out over the next few days during a trip we are taking. I will let you know how it worked out in the field.

I can see that if the threads on the knob were too short you would not be able to secure the holder to the adapter tight enough. So maybe they have made the knob with more thread to allow the holder to be held tighter to the adapter since the review.
12-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Russell, thanks for your reply! Looking forward to hearing how it works after you've had time using it; as I'm very interested in getting one!
12-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's an animated GIF of the two in combination with each other. As you can see, they make a deadly duo when you combine both polarizer and Big Stopper.

12-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! That is amazing! You've convinced me to order the holder, and at least the polarizer! The Big Stopper is out of my price reach right now.

Thanks for posting such a great example!!

Edit: after reviewing the pricing on the 4x4 polarizers, I'm going to have to skip this type of filter system.

Last edited by csa; 12-28-2015 at 10:45 AM.
12-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! That is amazing! You've convinced me to order the holder, and at least the polarizer! The Big Stopper is out of my price reach right now.

Thanks for posting such a great example!!

Edit: after reviewing the pricing on the 4x4 polarizers, I'm going to have to skip this type of filter system.
Ha ha ha I was so excited to hear you want to buy it! And then I was in total understanding at your edit.
It's not an easy price to stomach. Especially when you can buy a 50mm 1.8 for 1/3rd the cost of a holder, Big Lee stopper, and polarizer. Look online at Ebay! I was patient (for about a year) and found the $200 polarizer for about $50 on Ebay. Now looking back, I would also be comfortable buying a used Hitech filter holder system for cheap on eBay - making sure all the parts were included! I hope this affords a possible avenue to get this setup! let me know what you end up doing!
12-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Here's an animated GIF of the two in combination with each other. As you can see, they make a deadly duo when you combine both polarizer and Big Stopper.
Yes nice set of pictures to show how the filters have an impact -- thanks for posting them. I have yet to be able to use my new kit but when the weather is permitting I have other obligations. I am also really looking forward to being able to get the CP and Big Stopper at a good price.
12-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha ha ha I was so excited to hear you want to buy it! And then I was in total understanding at your edit.
It's not an easy price to stomach. Especially when you can buy a 50mm 1.8 for 1/3rd the cost of a holder, Big Lee stopper, and polarizer. Look online at Ebay! I was patient (for about a year) and found the $200 polarizer for about $50 on Ebay. Now looking back, I would also be comfortable buying a used Hitech filter holder system for cheap on eBay - making sure all the parts were included! I hope this affords a possible avenue to get this setup! let me know what you end up doing!

Thanks! I'll start watching Amazon, as I've never purchased from EBay.
01-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Yes nice set of pictures to show how the filters have an impact -- thanks for posting them. I have yet to be able to use my new kit but when the weather is permitting I have other obligations. I am also really looking forward to being able to get the CP and Big Stopper at a good price.
yeah, please upload examples on pentax forums after you do! Would love to see how you use the combination!

---------- Post added 01-03-16 at 08:26 AM ----------

Thanks! I'll start watching Amazon, as I've never purchased from EBay.
Yeah, if you don't feel comfortable with eBay, then Amazon is a good choice. Let me know what you find!
01-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be happy to let you know!
01-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, please upload examples on pentax forums after you do! Would love to see how you use the combination!
Below is a sample using the holder today. Really looking forward to the CP setup and will post some photos using it when I can get one.

Looking forward to hearing how it works after you've had time using it; as I'm very interested in getting one!
I went out this evening on a hike to take some pictures. I did not have any problem with setup in the field. A non filter holder related problem I had was that I should have added weight to my tripod to steady it. The longer exposure 25 & 30 seconds were a bit blurry due to movement -- live and learn. The 105mm CP will be a great addition to the holder. I took a couple with a threaded CP before starting and it took the reflection/glare off and revealed more of the rock's color.

Here is the set-up.

A sample from the outing.
26mm iso 80 f13 6seconds
01-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Below is a sample using the holder today. Really looking forward to the CP setup and will post some photos using it when I can get one.

I went out this evening on a hike to take some pictures. I did not have any problem with setup in the field. A non filter holder related problem I had was that I should have added weight to my tripod to steady it. The longer exposure 25 & 30 seconds were a bit blurry due to movement -- live and learn. The 105mm CP will be a great addition to the holder. I took a couple with a threaded CP before starting and it took the reflection/glare off and revealed more of the rock's color.

Here is the set-up.

A sample from the outing.
26mm iso 80 f13 6seconds
Nice! Is that a graduated filter? Yeah, the polarizer is amazing, you're right about the colors and reflections. I've noticed that too! Nice, glad you got out and tested it. I usually will do a 10 or 3 second timer delay so all the vibrations are out of my tripod. I wish Pentax would have done a mirror-up + timer delay, but I'm very happy with the K5 too! Thanks for your reply!