Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Geminids

Tomorrow night I'm going to try and set up the camera for these. Any hints about anything at all would be welcome: including lens selection, shutter speed, direction to face (Southern Hemisphere). Thanks! No doubt there will be existing posts I can be referred to.

12-13-2015, 03:13 AM   #2

Use the widest lens you have, I see from your equipment list that you have the DA15? This is probably best. Use it at F4, ISO3200 and about 20 to 25 seconds. Shoot in RAW and then process in Lightroom. AlternativelytTake a lot of pictures and then stack afterwards using something like Deep Sky Stacker (its free and works with RAW) for the best effect.

The most important thing you are going to need is some clear sky, something that is sorely lacking here in Japan at the moment! As for direction I believe they are called Geminids because they originate from Gemini, although apparently they are like to appear from all over the place.

Good luck!
12-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm out trying to photograph the Geminids right now, too. Last night was better than tonight. Tonight I had about 90 minutes of clear skies and only saw a handful, none of which appear to have been picked up on the cameras.
12-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only managed to capture the tail end of a single Geminid this year (upper right of frame; make sure you view in a dark room).