Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
High Key-Head Shot

I will be attempting a high key head shot for my niece, for her portfolio.She is currently in college and performing arts is her area of study
and is trying out for a large production off campus.
Equipment I have to work with is K5IIs, Metz 52AF-1,Cactus V6, 2-RF60 and 2 shoot white transparent umbrellas. lens will be the Pentax DA 50 1.8
and 70-200 2.8 Tamron @ 70. The 50 and 70 should be pretty close with the 1.5 crop, some limited lens will have to wait.
Separation of subject and background is critical and having nice sharp lines and no harsh shadows is what I'am going for? Having looked at hundreds
HS images, looks like its ok to chop the top of the head off when cropping?
I like Peter Hurley's work in this type of photography and find his work very natural looking.
Having never shot this type of photography any thoughts and ideas would be great!

Thank you

Brian

12-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter Hurley uses some elaborate lighting. Dom gives you a quick seminar on a bit of kit similar to yours. Re: Chopping / cropping... the composition needs to work - center an eye, or use rules of thirds, or lines to direct the eye.. at the end of the day you'll know if it works.

I used a painters drop sheet with AF360 FGZ situated behind subject, and AF540 FGZ + Westscott Apollo Orb 43" with FlashQ triggers on my K5 IIs for this. It's not perfect, but it serves my needs.

B&H hosted Peter Hurely not long ago.. Its a good presentation, I've linked the place where he's talking about his lighting.

https://youtu.be/GnHa35pcLrM?t=1h2m33s
12-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Peter Hurley uses some elaborate lighting. Dom gives you a quick seminar on a bit of kit similar to yours. Re: Chopping / cropping... the composition needs to work - center an eye, or use rules of thirds, or lines to direct the eye.. at the end of the day you'll know if it works.

https://youtu.be/sUvkWkxFb2M
I used a painters drop sheet with AF360 FGZ situated behind subject, and AF540 FGZ + Westscott Apollo Orb 43" with FlashQ triggers on my K5 IIs for this. It's not perfect, but it serves my needs.

B&H hosted Peter Hurely not long ago.. Its a good presentation, I've linked the place where he's talking about his lighting.

https://youtu.be/GnHa35pcLrM?t=1h2m33s
Mattt, thanks for the video and tips! Composition and lighting this close will be a challenge, but will have fun with it!

The painters tarp is a great idea! Great link as well.

Thanks

Brian
01-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
First try on Uploading, First try H/K image

sorry, this my first time uploading and my first high key image,hope it works?

---------- Post added 01-04-16 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
sorry, this my first time uploading and my first high key image,hope it works?
Sorry this image is huge!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Success!