Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Small bug in rear LCD...

I was shooting today, when I noticed a little white speck on my rear LCD... I got irritated so I tried to "shake" it out (at least to the edges so as not to distract too much when viewing pictures.) Anyway, I thought my shaking of the K10 worked since next I looked, the white speck was in the lower left. However, after a few minutes, it was in the upper right, then lower right, then back in the middle... I observed it for a few minutes, and it was then I noticed that it was moving! The little bugger turned out to be just that... a bug! It has since left the LCD and off to greener pastures, but now this has got me worried... how did it manage to get in the camera? Probably while changing lenses outdoors? Will it cause damage inside the camera? And most importantly, how the heck can I get rid of it??? Anyone? Please?

06-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Bug spray?
06-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought of using a bug spray, but was worried it might do serious harm on the sensor I'm hoping it would starve o death and just fall off...
06-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bugs don't like the cold. Maybe stick the body in the fridge for a while then use a blower to get it out?

06-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How did a bug get into a body that is supposed to be water tight (i.e. resistant).?
06-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Won't the cold be harmful to my camera? Also, what if it dies while in the LCD?

@user440: I have no idea. Best excuse I have is that I kept too long while changing between lenses...
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommend refrigeration, as that will promote condensation when you open the camera to shake out the chilled critter.

I'd suggest you let the poor thing expire, then open the camera body and thoroughly work over the interior with a rocket blaster or similar. Keep the open lens mount pointed down, and perhaps place a sheet of dark paper or the like underneath so that you can confirm you got the wee beastie out of the camera body.

As for how it got in, Leadbelly, I think you guessed right about leaving the camera open too long during a lens change. The K10D's body sealing includes the LCD's external protective screen, IIRC, so the path to the LCD itself was most likely through the open mirror/sensor box during the lens change.

Good luck!

06-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Damn Brit

You could always leave the lens off for a while to see if he comes out. Of course, if he's a squatter he might invite some of his friends round for a party.
06-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Won't the cold be harmful to my camera? Also, what if it dies while in the LCD?
I've had my cameras out in -40 weather, so I really can't see a fridge doing any harm to them.

I believe that most insects are drawn towards sugar water, so I'm almost thinking that if you put a small amount of that into the bottom of a cup, and rest the camera, without the lens on well above the water level on the top it might just be drawn out and drown it's self.

You would of course want to be careful trying this, and place everything in something sealed so more of his friends don't join him.
06-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've all heard of extreme close-up bug photography, but the bug BEHIND the lens--now that's extreme close-up!
07-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Forum Member

i would leave the cam with lens taken off for awhile so the bug can fly out
obviously to a non-dusty room.
07-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you contacted Pentax ? Maybe they can fix your bug with a firmware update.

07-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Best one so far!

I think Pentax isn't going to release anymore firmware updates for the K10D, so you'll have to do with the other suggestions.
Bugger!
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I was going to say you have discovered the bug in the K mount metering.

I wonder if RH has a technical explanation about canon having better buggs?