Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Tips for dreamy landscapes?
Is go to dreamy places the correct answer?

That being the case I can recommend the Scottish Highlands.

01-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

If I have a tripod and I'd like to take a picture of a monument without seeing the people in front is it better to have along exposure or multi exposure? Is it possible to set the mirror to stay up during multi exposure on my K30?

Also, I assume if people are standing still I may not have enough movement to get a picture of the monument or building without people.
Take a second picture after the people have moved, and combine them in Photoshop.
01-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #33

Here's best I could come up with.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope you don't mind, but for fun I thought I would see what I could do with it. Being a JPG limits the potential, but here is what I came up with.

02-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I decided to have some fun in corel. I'm rather fond of 3d effects such as emboss/bump map, and texture filters for modifying images. I did some tweak to color/hue/saturation as well. The big point of using 3d effects when working with images is to try to not go overboard with the tweaks so you don't wind up with extremely blatant hard edges (unless you're going for a really really abstracted look). I also added a bit of blur to hide the edges, but it looks like i went just a tad overboard.

02-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #36
osv
Veteran Member

shooting landscapes on a cloudy day like that is a difficult situation.

composition is what makes good photos, not processing: Photo Gallery: How to Take Landscape Photos -- National Geographic

in other words, look for foreground objects, leading lines, try to not put the horizon line in the middle of the pic, etc.

as mentioned earlier, the corners are horrible, due to the f/4 aperture... always test all of your lenses at all apertures, so that you know what it looks like.
02-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Many folks here have seem to mastered the skill of taking very dreamy landscape and architectural photos. Many of them of perfect colors, properly exposed sky and ground, smooth water, beautiful sunbursts, etc. What are some tips for taking these photos?

---Edit:---

Attached is a landscape picture that I took. The exposure is somewhere between correctly exposing the sky and land. The colors turned out very dull.

If I am allowed to link to someone else's photos; I find these images to have beautiful colors and exposure: https://500px.com/spiritofadventure/galleries/shorelines-1

It's all about light. Look for good light. Look for shadows.

If you look at your shot it doesn't have those ingredients so it looks flat and boring. If you can't have light try to compensate with something else like contrast or colours or shapes or lines. But it would look best with good light.
02-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #38

.. "look for the light" - glen5995 has done just that and brought it out (maybe a touch overboard, I'd prefer less saturated sky)

02-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
.. "look for the light" - glen5995 has done just that and brought it out (maybe a touch overboard, I'd prefer less saturated sky)

Light is not something that you suddenly see in photoshop. It should be there even before you edit.