Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Live View gets the shot!

Live View is a feature I have not thought I would be using much on the K20D but today I've discovered it to be better than what I imagined it to be.

Was in a park when I wanted to use the DOF preview/optical preview when LV came on...
Duh! So that's how to turn on LV!

Then chanced upon a dragonfly near some water reeds.
Here's a feeble attempt at an insect macro using LV... without a macro lens.
Taken with the DA 21 Limited at the minimum focusing distance (0.20m) with arms outstretched. Probably would not have been able to take the shot if I had to shoot normally as I would have disturbed the insect and gotten my feet wet.

Oh well, that's for not reading the manual enough.

06-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Ed in GA

I've found the "live view" to be handy for Macro work as well.

I had read the manual and knew how to turn it on. My only problem is that I forget to reset the menu to 'optical' preview when I'm done.
06-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've found digital preview to be much faster and now with the ability to save the preview image, I've found less need to rely upon the optical preview. Anyway having LV is a plus and it isn't too bad after all.
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
f8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live View is great!

Picture this: A rock festival, crowd turns up and rushes right next to the stage. Me with my Pentax K20D and 50-135mm DA* lens. The band is playing very loud metal (progressive/grind/trash/etc.). You do not want to get in between the crowd and the band (or the stage!) with your DSLR...

What to do? Just back up, zoom in, raise the camera above the crowd, check the focus from Live View and presto! Your shot is ready.

Some examples follow...

07-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by f/8 Quote
Live View is great!

Picture this: A rock festival, crowd turns up and rushes right next to the stage. Me with my Pentax K20D and 50-135mm DA* lens. The band is playing very loud metal (progressive/grind/trash/etc.). You do not want to get in between the crowd and the band (or the stage!) with your DSLR...

What to do? Just back up, zoom in, raise the camera above the crowd, check the focus from Live View and presto! Your shot is ready.

Some examples follow...

Wow, those are great concert shots! Good feel for the crowd and the "moment". Too bad most places in the US won't allow "professional" cameras (meaning dSLRs).
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
f8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Wow, those are great concert shots! Good feel for the crowd and the "moment". Too bad most places in the US won't allow "professional" cameras (meaning dSLRs).
Thanks! And they did not allow them at this venue either - I just snuck my camera along (which was pretty easy - just took it to pieces and put in my bag) and when shooting from this distance none of the personnel said anything... Actually, all they were intrested was that we were complying with the no smoking rule inside the tent.

I understand the rule of no DSLR's when shooting right next to the stage. That is and should be for the professionals. But from behind the crowd... Ridicilous. Also, I've heard that it would be quite a simple thing to just ask for a shooting permit beforehand. Must try that one next time as that would give me a chance to bring more lenses along...

I really should have RTFM'd before the festival - only later did I discover that one can actually autofocus and enlarge the preview image with Live View...! And there I was with 'manual everything' settings...
07-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by f/8 Quote
Live View is great!

Some examples follow...

These are amazing shots, I looked at your gallery and beautiful shots is an understatement, were they all taken with the LV rather than the VF?, Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene
07-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
f8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
These are amazing shots, I looked at your gallery and beautiful shots is an understatement, were they all taken with the LV rather than the VF?, Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene
Thank you!

All the band shots are with LV. I could not (nor did I wanted to) get closer so I had to use the Live View. Handy thing that...

07-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good shot. I had not tried out the live view function at all