Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Online Photojournalists/Photo Internship

I have had some thoughts about joining the ranks of the "online photojournalists" with a few reservations. I apologize if this subject has been approached on this forum more than once before but perhaps some new perspectives and opinions have emerged.
I caught the ad urging us to join a community online photographers group administrated and sponsored by a local newpaper. And of course what I am wondering is if there is really a need for such a group or are the newspapers trying to get images for free?
At the risk of setting a tone immediately, although I do have nothing to lose, I asked the program coordinator a few questions such as this but the answers may just be unsatisfying when I receive them.
Does anyone have any experience in what I am talking about? A website of a local newspaper that showcases local community events and happenings that is inturn powered by images submitted from local novice and amateur photographers?
Is it believed that the staff of the newspaper cannot afford or have the desire to send their paid photographers everywhere, every day to cover the community and the website serves a great need? Or are the newspapers just trying to slim down and reduce staff and jobs and this is a fair compromise? I guess I rather feel like if I accepted the roll of the online photojournalist or enough of us did, that would be one less "real photojournalist" with a job. You know?
Now the discussion is open for debate and thanks for reading that very long post.

07-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In today's digital age everyone has a decent camera and they of course have a lot more wide coverage of things as they happen.

The newspaper definitely is not doing it from their kindness of their hearts. But they are not going to replace their beat photographers with your group. Just supplement.

If you can get something out of it (meet great photographers, share techniques) why not? If it's a pain just quit .
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
When in India....

I mean I am not so presumptuous as to think relatively ordinary individuals such as myself and others with no formal training or experience would replace the staff photographers......

Or could it happen?

Why just this morning, a story on NPR told us about a trend in newspaper industry of outsourcing duties to India. Advertising campaigns, article writing and a few other newspaper jobs are already being performed in countries like India for newspapers in The United States.
The spokesperson admitted that many of the offshore "operators" as they are referred to have no experience or training in many of the areas that they are being asked to complete for these newspapers. They have to ask an American supervisor what colors to use in Valentine's Day campaigns.
The other quote was "that the newspapers realize that they need to cut stock while they still have stock left."

What the hell has this world come to? (No offense to those of eastern religion)

Not related to photography, I just happen to know one of the researchers who made this discovery and this is a "shout out" to Dr. K.
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Local newspapers are struggling. Advertising revenue is down, costs are rising. By the way I don't work for a newspaper or anything.
I guess a lot would depend on how important the newspaper in question is to you and/or your community.
Another question is; Which is more important to you, being published or being paid for being published? If it was me, I would want to be paid if any of my images was syndicated or sold in any other way. That would be something I wanted clarified before submitting anything.
Gary

07-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The Windsor Star, part of the CanWest Global conglamorate, will only use photos taken by THEIR unionised staff.