Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
trouble with star trails

ok having some issues with star trails that i would love to have some help on, my settings on the K3 was a 20 sec exposure , 30 sec interval gap, thrown into star stax and used comet, gap filling etc and this was the result. was my settings on the camera wrong or have i messed up my post processing?

Attached Images

01-23-2016, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong, assuming those are Minecraft star trails.

Can't you post the original image? The one you posted is a fraction of the size of the original, so it's hard to tell what came out of the camera, and what happened during scaling.
01-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The exposure looks right but you might try reducing the time between exposures. ie , try (if you can) 21 second interval instead of 30 seconds. The 30 second interval you have set means that you have a 10 second gap between the end of one exposure and the beginning of the next. Make sure your noise reduction is turned off. You're getting there, you just need a little tweaking.
01-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
There's nothing wrong, assuming those are Minecraft star trails.

Can't you post the original image? The one you posted is a fraction of the size of the original, so it's hard to tell what came out of the camera, and what happened during scaling.
not sure if my pc can handle a 20 meg upload lol

---------- Post added 01-26-2016 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
The exposure looks right but you might try reducing the time between exposures. ie , try (if you can) 21 second interval instead of 30 seconds. The 30 second interval you have set means that you have a 10 second gap between the end of one exposure and the beginning of the next. Make sure your noise reduction is turned off. You're getting there, you just need a little tweaking.
yeah i thought i had noise reduction off and will try those settings next time we have clear skies down under , thanks

01-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

21 sec interval and 20 sec exposure will probably be to tight though, my guess is that you need about 23 sec interval to be sure that the camera doesn't miss a shot now and then.
01-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your interval is too long.
My exposure time is determined by the ambient light/light pollution and I shoot in the Hi-continuous drive mode with a wired remote to minimize caps.
Star-stax can only fill in so much.
edit: dark frame noise subtraction off.
edit2: Lo cont. shooting for stars, Hi for rocket launches.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-25-2016 at 03:19 PM.
01-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd try reducing the interval gap to 2 seconds, I think this will fix your issue.

01-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the problem with the image? The only bad thing I see is the aliasing in the jagged star trails, which I assume is caused by the size reduction. But then again, I know nothing about astro-photography.
01-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most people prefer somewhat continuous trails, without breaks in them. This sample has some due to couple overexposed frames that I had to remove.
Attached Images