Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

Adorama for Aussies

Hey all, just wondering how many Aussies have ordered from Adorama? Any problems, delivery time, taxes (did you have to pay any), returns. I am after a 50mm lens and a grip and a focusing screen and a flash (so many things) and after going to my local camera shop and checking online, I can just about buy everything on my list from adorama for the same price as the flash if I bought here. (how stupid is that). I havent ordered gear online from U.S before only books so just wondering what the service is like. Thanks in advance.

07-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adorama is highly regarded. Ordering and delivery is fine (USA, anyways).

They are very sluggish on returning email, though. Sent two about a week apart to finally get a return authorization. After returning an item (arrived there 5/13), I have not seen a refund. Two more emails, never answered. Phone call last week, refund still in limbo as they dispute getting it back (shows delivered by Fed Ex.) Probably last of my business there if they drag their feet any more. There's always Beach and B&H.

Good luck with that Aussie order, though.

Edit: Helen from Adorama (see below) has stepped in and as of 7/7 it appears all is well concerning my "issue". Stuff happens. Thanks, Helen!

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-07-2008 at 10:20 PM.
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ingi Quote
Hey all, just wondering how many Aussies have ordered from Adorama? Any problems, delivery time, taxes (did you have to pay any), returns. I am after a 50mm lens and a grip and a focusing screen and a flash (so many things) and after going to my local camera shop and checking online, I can just about buy everything on my list from adorama for the same price as the flash if I bought here. (how stupid is that). I havent ordered gear online from U.S before only books so just wondering what the service is like. Thanks in advance.

Ive used BH Photo bought a 50 F/1.4 for $US199 new and was delivered in record time(Friday morning my doorstep Tuesday morning 8am)prices reasonable and cheap

BTW what kind of focusing screen did you end up with to buy
Buy with confidence

cheers
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See post #2 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29846-more-da-...lots-pics.html

55~300 from Adorama @349 USD +47USD express ship - arrived in Sydney in 3 days.

07-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #5

DA 10-17 fisheye from Adorama. Took 2 days from Adorama to Ascot Vale. took 2 Days from Ascot vale to home

Adorama was good. can't say the same for UPS australia...
07-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used B&H and found them absolutely brilliant. No problems and quick delivery.
I receive their catologue in the mail without request now.
Highly recommend them if you have doubts about Adorama.
07-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Adorama is highly regarded. Ordering and delivery is fine (USA, anyways).

They are very sluggish on returning email, though. Sent two about a week apart to finally get a return authorization. After returning an item (arrived there 5/13), I have not seen a refund. Two more emails, never answered. Phone call last week, refund still in limbo as they dispute getting it back (shows delivered by Fed Ex.) Probably last of my business there if they drag their feet any more. There's always Beach and B&H.

Good luck with that Aussie order, though.

Firstly, may I offer my most sincere apologies that we have not been responding to either email enquiries, or dealing with returns and refunds as quickly as we should have been.
The problems in our systems have now have been identified, and hopefully everything will be running smoothly from now on.
Please contact me directly [helen.oster@adoramacamera.com] with your order number, and I will personally undertake to resolve your outstanding issues.

Could you also confirm whether your email was sent to service, sales, or info@adorama.com?

Thank you

And once again, my apologies

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

07-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

Hi

You might find it helpful to post the same question on the Flickr group:

ausphotography.net.au

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys, seems I neednt be to concerned ordering from U.S. Nakey, I know where you are coming from, our local Post Office and Australia Post cost me a client because of unreliable mail delivery. When it consistently takes 4 days to send/receive express post there is something wrong with the system.
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
BTW what kind of focusing screen did you end up with to buy
Still researching, I am waiting on the arrival of my f1.7 50mm, which I just won on ebay, so I will have a play and see how I go with focusing.
07-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've bought from adorama through ebay and not had a problem. 2 sales both 2nd hand items exactly as described. so needless to say I haven't had to deal with returns etc.

postage from US, USPS is much cheaper than UPS (if you get a choice). Most places send items what we call EMS and takes 2-3 days to hit oz. (I've had 48 hours to Armidale, must have hit sydney within 24 hours)

any purchase over AU$1000 (calculated by customs on date of arrival) is liable to customs (gst) so you will get hit the 10% and they can take a few weeks

also look at henrys and prodigital2000 (who are carmens) on ebay, both in canada, have dealt with both many times and have done returns to both without any probs (except that pentax canada takes about 6 weeks), you will also get a longer warranty with a canadian retailer than you will with australian (not sure on USA warranty).

Phil
07-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #11

Adorama? Never again. UPS went out of their way to ensure I was charged all applicable import duties plus GST plus their brokerage charges for dealing with Customs. If the item had come in through the postal service no duties would have applied.

I have bought some items through B&H and was happy with their service.
07-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys. Phil will remember to keep under the $1000.
07-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

^^^^ Thats $A1000 at One time so there will be many more times LOL

LBA LBA LBA I love it

cheers
07-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the AUD$1000 limit before GST kicks in, is the total cost of the goods INCLUDING shipping.
You can also get an International Warranty on Pentax equipment purchased with a valid US warranty...Not sure about non-pentax equipment, but I'll try if I buy any.

Last edited by dazman; 07-05-2008 at 05:18 AM.
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Adorama? Never again. UPS went out of their way to ensure I was charged all applicable import duties plus GST plus their brokerage charges for dealing with Customs. If the item had come in through the postal service no duties would have applied.

I have bought some items through B&H and was happy with their service.
I assume you are in Canada. That is one of the drawbacks to free medical coverage, I suppose. Also, it is very hard to track international and military packages, especially regular "postal service". Fed Ex also will bill the shipper when customers don't pay the customs fee. Did not have that occur (surprisingly) with UPS.