Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #16
Forum Member

With zoom lenses you will likely take more photos, but with primes you will end up with more special shots.

Most of my best wedding shots come from using the Sigma 30 1.4. The only reason I take a zoom is for the group shots/wide angle work. Your 50mm 1.4 will be great for those special shots - if I were you, I'd be more inclined to pick up a 2nd body than anything else.

Oh, and have fun

07-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Yes it is possible to use prime to take the whole wedding, IF you have enough space to go around. It is great to use prime since they usually have bigger aperture, I did to used my 77 for a friend's wedding dinner with no flash, and photos are great But I wasn't the official photographer, and was stuck on the seat in one table :P
Quick and dirty Photoshop web presentation.
None of the files were particularly optimized, and they are out of sequence due to my K20 rolling over it's odometer and the use of a K10 for some of the shots.
Michael Ruda & Lyndsaye Greke, June 7 2008
All pictures were done with either the FA31/1.8, the 58mm f/1.4 or the A*85mm f/1.4.
No Zooms!!
07-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
<snip> but I was wondering if I could get away with using the 360.

Also, lenses...will I need to rent some lenses in addition to the ones I have? <snip> Any advice on wedding photography would be great! Thanks guys.
I just recently shot my first wedding as the primary photographer (I consider myself an advanced amatuer). It was also my first "important" shoot (for someone other than me on vacation) using my K10D or any digital camera really. It was a difficult thing to set up for because I had no knowledge of the wedding site or area (on the beach at Fort Walton Beach, Fl.)(I'm from New York). (It turns out that I've never seen sand so purely WHITE or as bright). I used my K10D, Signa 17-70, and my 360FGZ flash mounted on my Stroboframe Flip bracket. The bracket puts the flash directly over the lens in both horizontal and vertical orientation. I was prepared with 3 different types of flash diffusers, a 42" collapsible translucent disk, and two remote flashes with optical triggers. I didn't use any of the "extra" accessories. (The translucent disk would have helped some pictures, but it's shadow would have been visible in most) I did use a recently purchased (for the wedding (excuse)) DA 21mm Ltd. for some indoor shots at the rehersal luncheon. I bought it because the Sigma tends to have some barrel distortion when it is at max wide and it was easier to eliminate it by preventing my tendency to go there on interior shots. I would have liked to have the 50-135mm as well but even with the excuse it wasn't to be (yet).
I also questioned the ability of the 360FGZ to do the job. It did fine, straight on, in PTTL mode with the K10D in Program and ISO set Auto, limited to 640 max. The entire wedding (less the luncheon) was out on the beach. The rehersal was just after noon and it was hard to keep the whites from blowing out. The actual wedding started about 4:30 PM and even then the whites were difficult (white on white wedding dress). This was my first "real" shoot where I used RAW all the way. It was worth it. Rather than keeping babling on, go to: briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots and check out the albums. There are 5 of them.
Good luck on your project and keep on shooting!
Brian