Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, what is the best way to send my camera back?

As many of you know, I've had a water problem with my K10D. For those who don't know check here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/30737-help-i-m...-too-soon.html
It has been over a week and nothing I've tried has worked. Put silca gel packets in both mirror cavity and battery cavity, and then left it in front of a window fan for over 24 hrs. Didn't work. Light application of heat with hair dryer, didn't work. Left it for several days with all the hatches open, (battery, left side, SD card, etc) didn't work. I didn't want to try some of the other remedies esp the contact cleaner, I have no idea what that stuff will do to the seals. It looks like this problem is beyond me. So it goes in for repair. So here is the problem. I don't know which is the best way to do this. The camera was bought in November 07, so it is still under warranty. Do I take it back to Adorama (I live in NYC) where I bought it and let them send it back? Or do I get in touch with Pentax warranty in CO, and send it back myself? Naturally I am not going to mention water damage, I'm not sure they'll want to do a warranty repair with water involved. Has anybody used Adorama to return a camera? Would it be quicker sending it in myself or letting Adorama do it?

NaCl(complete noob at this)H2O

07-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with Adorama (snicker).

A) Bummers about your camera
B) Send it in yourself.
C) Water damage will not be covered under warranty.
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
As many of you know, I've had a water problem with my K10D. For those who don't know check here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/30737-help-i-m...-too-soon.html
It has been over a week and nothing I've tried has worked. Put silca gel packets in both mirror cavity and battery cavity, and then left it in front of a window fan for over 24 hrs. Didn't work. Light application of heat with hair dryer, didn't work. Left it for several days with all the hatches open, (battery, left side, SD card, etc) didn't work. I didn't want to try some of the other remedies esp the contact cleaner, I have no idea what that stuff will do to the seals. It looks like this problem is beyond me. So it goes in for repair. So here is the problem. I don't know which is the best way to do this. The camera was bought in November 07, so it is still under warranty. Do I take it back to Adorama (I live in NYC) where I bought it and let them send it back? Or do I get in touch with Pentax warranty in CO, and send it back myself? Naturally I am not going to mention water damage, I'm not sure they'll want to do a warranty repair with water involved. Has anybody used Adorama to return a camera? Would it be quicker sending it in myself or letting Adorama do it?

NaCl(complete noob at this)H2O
Don't lie about it... They will know that it's water damage, and just maybe - Pentax may repair it free of charge. Either way, dishonesty will not get you anywhere.

I'd just ship it back in the original box straight to Pentax. Skip Adorama.
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Send it directly, priority mail, delivery confirmation, insured. Bubblewrapped. They want you to send "as little as possible", i.e. remove the SD card, the battery, the eye cup. Mount that cheap, white body cap which came with the camera.

07-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sending in camera repairs is part of my job. Send it in your self (unless you have a good dealer - Adorama doesn't count). Pack it well (double boxed), insured, use what ever carrier you believe in this week. Insure it.
In the box include all the info. Model, serial #, included parts like body caps, hotshoe covers, grip rubber plug, etc. Don't send in any major parts. They don't want/need, batteries, memo cards, straps, lens, instruction book, etc. I put body in ziplock baggie to protect it from moisture and dust. Have had other packages spill and ruin my package. Thankfully not camera. Make sure you put your info Name, address, phone #, etc.
You need to give the tech a description of what the problem is. With as much detail as possible. Do not diagnose what caused the problem for the technician. You really don't know for sure. If you mention water damage many companies will not work on camera in or out of warranty! If it is water damaged they will know and may send you an estimate for repair. Unless they think its to badly damaged. Not sure how Pentax handles known water damage. Can't recall sending them a known case. Have dealt with other companies though. There is some slight ethics involved with sending it in water damaged. However, this camera is designed to be weather resistant. Only the company can decide if this was too much. Don't tell them. They are capable of making up their mind. Also some techs may fix it if its not glaringly called to the companies attention (which gets management involved) on the paper work. Kind of like the US military don't ask, don't tell policy.
In a couple of weeks you will get an estimate or maybe even a repaired camera back (usually warranty repaired camera takes a little longer considering travel time).
Good luck.
thanks
barondla
Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
07-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the good info. I will get it off to warranty repair ASAP. However, despite what many of you seem to think, Adorama as a brick and mortar store IS a reputable dealer. I have never had any problem returning stuff to them. I had a bad third party battery returned, no questions asked, several lens pouches (one with a broken zipper, one the wrong size) again no questions asked. And one second hand lens that had bad decentering problems and bad BF. Again no questions asked. The lens was pretty expensive, about $500 and my credit card was credited by the next business day (I returned in on a Sunday) so I have no problems with Adorama, they have always treated me well. However I will send it in on my own.

NaCl(thanks for the info...what a great site this is)H2O
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have followed, some what, your ordeal with your K20D. and have to say, i'm sorry to hear you had these problems.

I have sent in for repair some Pentax and some Nikon cameras and have found service is a lot faster if you send it in your self. The one time i sent my istD to Pentax Canada via Blacks cameras in Markham(they had the extended warranty)it took 4 months to get it back. The longest I have ever been with out a camera i send in is about 12-16 days.

As far as shooting in foul weather, i don't. Some rain or what have you, with a towel or something to cover is not to bad, for a short time.
I had a bad experience with a D2H in 2005 shooting in bad weather. Damaged the camera and the bill was pretty hefty.
Needless to say, now at a horse show and its raining, if i cannot shot in some kind of cover, i don't shoot at all.

Dave
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with the repair. Didn't mention that I wouldn't use the original Pentax "pretty" box for one of the two boxes. When I sent my K10D in that way the box came back looking 10 years older! Don't know what happened to it while at Pentax. Camra was fine. Yes it was double boxed.

Not slamming Adorama. However, nothing you mentioned is high level customer service. Any one can process a return credit/ exchange. Wally World does it all the time. That is not the same as some one doing the paper work, packing the camera properly, shipping it, receiving repair estimate/ warranty confirmation, and notifying you if not in warranty. Much more time consuming than handing a replacement product or crediting your card. Most big companies aren't to good at it. Heck most can't even handle their own customer service - they out source it.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #9

I had to bring my K10D for warranty service once, I took it back to the store I got it from, then the store told me to bring it to the Pentax service depot locally. It turn out to be a very small shop specialized in repair Pentax cameras. Since you live in a bigger city than me, I would expect there is a similiar repair service depot locally.
07-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks everybody for the good info. I will get it off to warranty repair ASAP. However, despite what many of you seem to think, Adorama as a brick and mortar store IS a reputable dealer. I have never had any problem returning stuff to them. I had a bad third party battery returned, no questions asked, several lens pouches (one with a broken zipper, one the wrong size) again no questions asked. And one second hand lens that had bad decentering problems and bad BF. Again no questions asked. The lens was pretty expensive, about $500 and my credit card was credited by the next business day (I returned in on a Sunday) so I have no problems with Adorama, they have always treated me well. However I will send it in on my own.

NaCl(thanks for the info...what a great site this is)H2O
Apologies that I didn't pick this up earlier; yes, you will need to return the camera directly to Pentax - sorry we can't help with it.

Also, thanks for the recommendation for Adorama; delighted we've been able to help in the past.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
07-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Apologies that I didn't pick this up earlier; yes, you will need to return the camera directly to Pentax - sorry we can't help with it.

Also, thanks for the recommendation for Adorama; delighted we've been able to help in the past.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Thanks Helen, Larry, Ari and the other sales staff at Adorama have always been helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. Even tho Ari is still trying to get me to buy the K20D! . It's gotten to be a bit of fun for both of us.
Ari: "Hey Pentax guy! I see you've finally come to get the K20D."
Me: "Nope, just some (fill in the blank with the usual camera stuff)"
Ari with a great tragic face: "But the K20D is such a great camera!"
Me: "Yep! You wanna lend me a grand?"
Ari: "Laughs"

NaCl(it's nice to walk into a store and be treated well)H2O