Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Noise Reduction settings

Hi, I'd be grateful for help with this using my Pentax K-S2. My photography is probably split between moving objects (animals/birds/sports) and landscape/architecture. I have my user setting U1 set up for Landscapes and U2 settings for sport. I shoot in JPG for the moment whilst still getting used to this camera.

The camera has settings for Hi ISO NR and low shutter speed NR. What settings should I use in general and for my U1, U2 settings? And why please. Assume (correctly) that I have limited knowledge about this.

Thanks in advance.

02-06-2016, 03:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yves Bourque in his K-S2 user guide says the Hi ISO relies on shutter speed and internal temperature in its decision making for shots of longer than one minute. Perhaps you would use it on U1 on Auto for night landscapes or astrophotography.

High ISO would be for your U2 but he doesn't do more than suggest trial and error for its level.
02-06-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whyhaveone Quote
low shutter speed NR
I think this one is Dark frame NR. This means after a long exposure, the camera will take another long exposure with the shutter closed, and reduce that noise from the photo. It is generally something that people like, but it can be bad in a situation where you don't have the time between shots. For astrophotography it is generally considered important to have this feature on.

Hi ISO NR
I think this is the general NR. I didn't know it does all the stuff mentioned in the previous post. Anyway, if you shoot raw, you probably don't need to set this one to be any high. You will use the developing software's own NR. I don't think this NR even applies to raw files?
02-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think this NR even applies to raw files?
OP shoots JPG, Na Horuk.

02-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far. I'd like to understand the 'why' of to use in camera NR as well.

See the attached, it has a lot of noise due to my settings (Lens DA L 50-200 WR) - 1/400sec; F9; ISO6400; Hi ISO NR auto - did it even work?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi, I'd be grateful for help with this using my Pentax K-S2. My photography is probably split between moving objects (animals/birds/sports) and landscape/architecture. I have my user setting U1 set up for Landscapes and U2 settings for sport. I shoot in JPG for the moment whilst still getting used to this camera.

The camera has settings for Hi ISO NR and low shutter speed NR. What settings should I use in general and for my U1, U2 settings? And why please. Assume (correctly) that I have limited knowledge about this.

Thanks in advance.
In your case, slow shutter speed noise reduction isn't really relevant since it only kicks in for exposure times around 30 seconds or longer. High-ISO NR can have an effect, though.

If you post-process on your PC, and if you don't shoot in raw, I'd recommend disabling in-camera noise reduction entirely as it eats away detail. You'll get better results by reducing the noise in post if it's prominent.

I've found that the Pentax JPEG engine tends to apply a good amount of baseline noise reduction even if the NR setting is off, so you should be fine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that Adam - I even understand it!

02-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah. Basically, the higher the ISO number, the more digital noise there will be in the photo. NR tries to reduce this, but its just a computer, so you also lose some detail from the photo. More sophisticated NR algorithms do a better job. If you shoot jpeg, then you might want to use in-camera NR. You will need to experiment a little, and do settings that you find acceptable.
Also, I think slow shutter NR activates around 2second or longer exposures, not 30sec and over. I think its a fairly good thing to have enabled, especially if you do night time long exposures with a tripod.
02-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a note on using in-camera long exposure NR for astrophotography. It really depends on which part of the astrophoto discipline you find yourself in. Those taking 5-10 minute exposures of deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae will not be using it. They need every second they can glean for exposures, not for NR, so they do it in post. Anybody using stacking software will also not be using in-camera NR. It may be useful for those in the wide-field "milky way" landscape type of astro shots, though, where exposures are typically less than 60 seconds.
02-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your help with this.

I do (try) to do some night 'astro' photography using the O-GPS1 unit. so have turned the slow shutter speed NR off.
For regular use I am trying the custom setting with NR off for up to ISO 2500, then low up to 20000 and medium for the remainder (25600-51200 - not that I've ever got that high!).

In reality though I've set up for a max ISO of 3200 for regular/landscape and 4000 for sports (again based upon trial and error), so the above settings will only come into play up to those.

Thanks again - and any other comments are welcome.