Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I HIGHLY recommend shelling out the very small fee for BJWok's lightroom presets that are specifically for concert venues. They're $2 for the first set and $3 for teh second set, or you can buy them both for $3.50. They're really excellent at dealing with crappy concert lighting.
International Music Photography, Band Portraits & Tour Photography by Australian Rock n' Roll Photographer Benon Julius William Otto Koebsch
International Music Photography, Band Portraits & Tour Photography by Australian Rock n' Roll Photographer Benon Julius William Otto Koebsch

As for basic technique -- LEDs are hell and you're probably completely blowing out one channel to get the others to display. Your best bet is probably to shoot raw and underexpose, then tweak the exposure in post. It's not that big a deal if you're using lightroom... once you get a shot right with one set of lights, you can apply the same fix to everything else with similar lighting. If they're jumping through lights like mad, that could get annoying, but most of the time it's just going to be one predominant light at a given time.

If you want to get the details but preserve the colors, you could probably do something in photoshop with blending the black and white and color versions of the image, but if you don't want to mess with simpler stuff in post, you definitely won't want to mess with that.

02-08-2016, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I HIGHLY recommend shelling out the very small fee for BJWok's lightroom presets that are specifically for concert venues.
Wow. Benon is based in Adelaide - I have shared the pit with him many times. I had no idea he was selling presets for concert work!
02-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Wow. Benon is based in Adelaide - I have shared the pit with him many times. I had no idea he was selling presets for concert work!
Really good ones, too!
02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really good ones, too!
No doubt. Benon's work has always been first class.
I prefer to give each image individual attention, but photography isn't my day job

02-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Really good ones, too!
I bought the presets. At $3, they are fair value. Although they don't really combat problematic LED lighting directly, they may be useful starting points for some gig post- processing scenarios. And it's always useful to see how others tweak LR.

About half of the presets are B&W though, which I never use.
02-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Although they don't really combat problematic LED lighting directly
Well, it's asking a bit much to expect a preset to fix extreme exposure problems for you.

If you expose without letting the LEDs blow out highlights for any channels, these give a great start on bringing it where you want it.

I really wish he'd given them descriptive names though. I always have to refer back to his site to see which one treats which problem.
02-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I really wish he'd given them descriptive names though.
Same here. I think Crumpler started the trend in the camera industry to give everything very quirky names. The trend seems unstoppable.

02-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UMDTERPS Quote
It's the Rock and Roll Hotel in Washington, D.C. who don't care if you bring in camera (Even though it says you can't on the site), plus I know some of the band members =0).

*snip*
Ok, but it's still live music, I bet it's a protected species... and why shooting, how cruel!

02-11-2016, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Ok, but it's still live music, I bet it's a protected species... and why shooting, how cruel!

I guess I can call Frame Capturing