Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good information on macro here. Definitions of macro and equipment options explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf1woH6JOxY

02-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Magnification and MFD (Minimum Focusing Distance). That is it.
02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #18

Another difference, not part of the definition of a macro lens but important nonetheless, is that lensmakers usually design macro lens (good ones, at least) to have a flat field of focus, whereas other lenses typically have a more curved field of focus.
02-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
Apologies for asking something that for experienced might be "oh, so obvious"... but... what is the difference between lenses labeled as "macro" and others that are not? Pentax SMC D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro is a Macro lens, while Pentax SMC DA 50mm f1.8 is not, and I could make a longish list of lenses that are "similar", but in fact, completely different... I need some explanation to cure my curiosity (and if possible, without killing any cats in the process)
If you visit the Pentax Lenses Database of this site ( Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ), you can check the table under each lens to find the "Maximum Magnification" specification. Anything less than 1x is not a macro lens. 1x or greater is a macro lens.

02-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #20

Original Poster
I went through all the lenses on the second hand market (for Pentax) and the closest hit is this Tamron with magnification factor of 1:2
That means that I'll have to look on ebay... (no other way to get a lens for Pentax in Serbia)

Edit: Found a 50mm Sigma macro (magnification 1:1) on ebay for 199€. The same lens for Nikon/Canon on offer for half of that money...

Last edited by stein; 02-13-2016 at 12:43 AM.
02-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by commongrounder Quote
besides close focusing is their optical design is optimized for flat field imaging. This is to say they have excellent edge to edge, as well as overall, sharpness
+1 beaten me to it.