Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Where do you guys typically go for wildlife shots? Do you guys often do it in your backyard?
the back yard is my favorite. Crack the patio door set the camera on a tripod. Drink coffee and grasp the remote. a little bird food at a convenient distance......

02-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Backyard, and Denali National Park which is 2 hours away.
02-17-2016, 04:02 AM   #18
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a fairly big backyard and not nearly enough time to chase photos. When I came in tonight there were probably 60-80 wallabies and kangaroos around the house. But getting a photo of them doing something interesting is a challenge. That applies if you go to a zoo as well. Then again, the most interesting stuff can turn up on a motion sensor camera where you find out what is going on when your back is turned, but the IQ is pretty ordinary and the pose rarely suits. I guess the message is, it is not so much where you are but how hard you work for the image.
02-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #19
smf
Pentaxian

Among the resources for birdwatchers and photographers is the eBird website. Some information is at
Using the Hotspot Explorer | eBird

02-17-2016, 05:22 AM   #20

I go outside :)

Have a couple of Eagles nests within 5Km from my house.
White tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) is one of my favorites.
02-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I check out the local birder's website. They often list sights where different species are to be found. I also have several routes in and around my province, where I know it is likely that I can get animal wildlife'

I don't do zoos or wildlife preserves very often, as I like to 'stalk' my photographic 'prey' in the wild.
02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Where do you guys typically go for wildlife shots? Do you guys often do it in your backyard?
wildlife is everywhere
often it depends on how exotic you want it to be

we have a tiny yard in the middle of town
we get a lot of shots just using our house as a barcalounger-equipped hide
we have vultures, ducks, hawks, turkeys, song birds, deer, raccoons, opossum, groundhogs, window peepers and dope smokers show up
ohh...bugs! lots of bugs.

some days I just walk a few miles and see what I can see

others i load up the car and get urban, suburban and rural exposures in a four hour period

it says you are in mpls
any direction you go there's something

your state has an excellent park system
you have parks and natural areas all around you
the river is just a few miles east..deer and eagles

run south to Rochester then east to winona and back home
whitewater is a very good stop...maybe you'll see a rattlesnake in the bluffs

north puts you in the pine woods

a three day weekend would fill a couple of sd cards

good luck and have fun!

02-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
we have vultures, ducks, hawks, turkeys, song birds, deer, raccoons, opossum, groundhogs, window peepers and dope smokers show up

If David Attenborough ever appears at your place to do a wildlife docco, do direct him to the peepers and smokers as well - will liven up the program!
02-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out E-Bird for local hotspots

http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspots?hs=L421884&yr=all&m=

I live close to a spot where borders post almost daily what they see, at a location where the are almost 300 report d species

The map is dynamic and can show you hotspots over the entire world
02-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys. My 55-300 HD WR is arriving tomorrow so I cannot wait to test it out, in my backyard it is.
02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

in my backyard it is.
Treats help! On my front yard.
Attached Images

02-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Go to google maps. Look for your location. Then look for water (streams, creeks, ponds, lakes, bayous, etc.). Then find areas with public access to or near those waterways. Where there's water nearby, there is wildlife.
02-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I go to Algonquin Park... and my back yard.There are lots of better places, but, it's close to home. My back yard is good too, but I have dogs, I do get some wildlife turning up, but they don't stay long.
02-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I used to shoot wildlife at work in my previous job, mostly pronghorn antelope. If I still had that job elk would be added as well as there is now a way too big population of them at work. I am not anywhere near as intersted in wildlife photography as I used to be, more into just enjoying them. If there is much snow during winter I get deer in the yard. Deer are a big nusiance not so much because they eat the plants and shrubs but they are all over the streets, back alleys and especially on the walking biking trails and they do not care to move for you. In winters if there is much snow I can also see them from my window at work. Much of the area around us is ranch land or farm land so there is wildlife easily spotted if you drive the country roads or even the highways. The Cypress Hills Provincial Parks, one in Alberta and the other in Saskatchewan are also great places and if you are lucky you might spot a cougar.

I used to get skunks in our yard too when I had dogs but for some reason they never meet at least not that I smelt but my one dog would go crazy barking at them when they went by the front of the house. I am also just over two hours from Waterton National Park and 4 to Banff and both of them have a few animals.
02-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Treats help! On my front yard.
Yes.
Sunflowerseeds for small birds
and Caramels for small humans