Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Sat out there for 20 minutes with my new 55-300.Well, I am kind of sad that there were no life in my backyard. There were no birds, no squirrells, no bugs. There were just trees, leafless in the snow.
You have to encourage the birds, chipmunks, etc. to come in. Water is a great way to get them in! Feeders with black oil sunflower seed, suet, and a simple thing; coat a pinecone with peanut butter, & hang it!

Also, here the birds come in mornings & late afternoons, mainly. There are birds all day long, but the larger numbers are mornings & late afternoons.

03-08-2016, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #47
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one photo of many I took yesterday with my 55-300 + Tamron 1.4x TC, handheld.
03-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys. It is getting really warm now, up to 60 degrees here in Minnesota, the birds should come out soon without the feeder, if not by next week then I will have to buy a bird feeder from Petco or something.
03-09-2016, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes I just stand on my veranda.....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #50

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm either at home (I live on a large river) or I'm at the lake (in the middle of the boonies) when I photograph my critters.
03-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #51
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Sometimes I just stand on my veranda.....
That is a great photo! Can't believe the wild turkeys are following along with the deer!

I also do my wildlife shooting at home. I live in the mountains on a lake, so get great opportunities. The Mountain Bluebirds just started arriving here, yesterday. Caught me by surprise, now I've got to get their houses cleaned out!
03-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You must put a lot of food out if you can get a shot like that, Dcappleby ... they're like late Noah's Ark applicants. ☺

03-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks guys. It is getting really warm now, up to 60 degrees here in Minnesota, the birds should come out soon without the feeder, if not by next week then I will have to buy a bird feeder from Petco or something.
If you're interested in backyard birds/wildlife, get the feeders up asap. Be sure to put a few photogenic branches around for birds to perch for the approach to the feeder.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Caught me by surprise, now I've got to get their houses cleaned out!
Nest boxes can be great for attracting wildlife, even a city backyard like the OP's should be able to fit a few. I always end up procrastinating on the nest cleaning, and end up with scenes like this:

But squirrels are cool too
03-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #54
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
If you're interested in backyard birds/wildlife, get the feeders up asap. Be sure to put a few photogenic branches around for birds to perch for the approach to the feeder.
Absolutely! Get some feeders up now. Also, water is very important. You can simply use a shallow cake pan, etc. If you can place feeders & water near a bush or something for the birds to use as protection; even better! Simple feeders are very inexpensive. I feed the black sunflower seeds. I've found the mixed "wild bird" seed has many types the birds simply will not eat, and it's a big waste. A suet block will attract several varieties of birds; again very inexpensive. After having feeders up for a few days, "word" is passed, and birds will regularly start making your yard a place to stop by!
03-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #55
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Nest boxes can be great for attracting wildlife, even a city backyard like the OP's should be able to fit a few. I always end up procrastinating on the nest cleaning, and end up with scenes like this:
I have 6 bluebird nestboxes, and a few more for chickadees, etc. Rarely do I get a squirrel around here, they tend to hang out at the lake's edge. I don't clean them in the Fall, as the old nests make good insulation for birds seeking cover in the winter; but the bluebirds are about 2 months early this year!
03-10-2016, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You must put a lot of food out if you can get a shot like that
Well I have admit I do feed the turkeys, I talked to one of the local conservation officers about feeding and he told me that most of the turkeys probably wouldn't make it through the winter without some human assistance, the deer also hang around the homes in the area as they feel a bit more protected from the cougar population though we have had cougars take deer within a 150 yards of our house. The deer also know they are safe from hunters at my home, the larger buck on the lower left of the photo would lay in my yard through the day during hunting season and watch the hunters drive by (I could actually see a little drool on the hunter's mouths). What is really quite funny is when the young fawn's are about, they take great delight in chasing the turkeys around. It's all quite comical to watch.
03-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Well I have admit I do feed the turkeys, I talked to one of the local conservation officers about feeding and he told me that most of the turkeys probably wouldn't make it through the winter without some human assistance, the deer also hang around the homes in the area as they feel a bit more protected from the cougar population though we have had cougars take deer within a 150 yards of our house. The deer also know they are safe from hunters at my home, the larger buck on the lower left of the photo would lay in my yard through the day during hunting season and watch the hunters drive by (I could actually see a little drool on the hunter's mouths). What is really quite funny is when the young fawn's are about, they take great delight in chasing the turkeys around. It's all quite comical to watch.

Every town needs a Dr Dolittle!
03-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for photogenic branches - wish I'd set up the tripod before setting up the the new bird bath, now the lens is focussing on the flowers in front of the birds, and the sun is making the logs behind far too bright. But I'll have to wait until the drought has broken before disturbing the Eastern Rosellas, Crested and Bronze-wing Pigeons, Galahs, Little Butcherbird, Noisy Miners who are using it. Sorry, I can't attach a pic because I haven't yet managed one in focus
03-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Every town needs a Dr Dolittle
But I can't talk to them
03-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #60
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
But I'll have to wait until the drought has broken before disturbing the Eastern Rosellas, Crested and Bronze-wing Pigeons, Galahs, Little Butcherbird, Noisy Miners who are using it
That's a very photogenic set of birds, @VRPhoto. Look forward to the photos.

All I seem to see when I go to Melbourne these days are mynahs, starlings, blackbirds, and sparrows (and maybe the occasional raven, galah and Little Wattlebird). Nice to hear some people still have a healthy population of natives.