Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
We haven't just passed Orwell's wildest expectations (cameras everywhere, cell-phone tracking, RFID license plates etc...), we also seem to be returning to 1930s Nazi-Germany in some parts of Europe...

Italy starts controversial plan to fingerprint Gypsies, including children - International Herald Tribune

... and the Red Cross will be present again... To make sure everything is handled correctly!!!

07-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
We are here. The UK has the highest per capita of video surveillance camera's in the world. A London resident gets filmed on average of 500 times per day.

We have passed Orwell's wildest expectations.

Ben
I suppose you are right Ben. The problem is that our version is simply much more insidious than Orwell's version.
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Maybe the next thing that will happen is British towns issuing photography permits.
Very likely. We'll have to pay for them, of course - at a rate that will make it a tax, not an admin charge.

The pen-pushers and paper-shufflers will get busy persecuting innocent people, the government will triumphantly cite such measures as 'anti-terrorism', in the hope of getting re-elected.

Any real terrorist will just get a permit if they need to case the joint with a decent-sized lens.
07-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
a decision by the Home Secretary that local constabulary have authority to limit photography in public places
Note that this should have been in General Talk as it isn't Pentax related.

It is also related to another quite active thread there, which addresses a similiar situation in the US:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/30466-taking-photographs-wit...orted-dhs.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
Where I am now, Sudan, the internal security situation is so tight
While this is sad, it is due to the fact that Sudan isn't a democracy (the last time I checked, at least). Your story tells us what we all can loose if we don't defend civil liberty rights which we started to take for granted.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
British towns issuing photography permits.
Well, Paris was always issueing photography permits to use a tripod on public ground -- for monetary reasons, of course Ben, did ya know?

07-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi Richard,
Since the Queen or King must approve any bill before it can become law,so I don't think that the UK is a complete democracy. The Queen also chooses the Prime minister, who then forms a government. It wasn't until the end of the last century that the hereditary house of lords became subbordinate to the elected house of commons. I always thought that it was a constitutional monarchy, not a true democracy. Its your call. I enjoyed my vists to England very much. The people are wonderful.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I find it amusing that it's the non Brits who are "protesting".

We Brits know that "rules are made for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men". That's why we don't have a written constitution!

We've just had a democracy longer than most and understand that as soon as you enshrine anything in "absolute" terms, the problems occur. That's why we have regulations that are open to sensible interpretation so that reason prevails.

I'm sure that these "guidelines" are just that. Nothing to rant about, it won't materially affect anything, unless it's a definite intrusion in peoples lives, petty burocrats exist everywhere - I suggest that we move on.
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Hi Richard,
Since the Queen or King must approve any bill before it can become law,so I don't think that the UK is a complete democracy. The Queen also chooses the Prime minister, who then forms a government. It wasn't until the end of the last century that the hereditary house of lords became subbordinate to the elected house of commons. I always thought that it was a constitutional monarchy, not a true democracy. Its your call. I enjoyed my vists to England very much. The people are wonderful.

Dave
I am not sure dave, that you have this right. The reigning monarch or (in canada their representitive the governer general) must sign any legslation before it is law, BUT, I am not aware of any single case in teh last 100 years where this does not happen. Also, the Monarch, or representitive, generally does not select the prime minister, the PM is the leader of the party elected with the majority of seats and must also be an elected member of parliment, or in the case of a minority govenment, the leader of the party capable of forming a coolition.

The monarch is really just a figurehead today.
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

"He who thinks he can trade freedom for security will soon find he has neither."

07-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
"He who thinks he can trade freedom for security will soon find he has neither."
you need to consider that all is relative. we are not talking about absolute security the level of security is to some extent inversely proprtional to the level of freedom/.
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Lowell,
I was surprized to read these things myself. Often what we are led to beleive as common knowledge isn't the case. I took these examples from the Wikipedia UK government history writup. apparently the monarch has more power then we thought. I wouldn't make it up. Here is the link. Parliament of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am not sure dave, that you have this right. The reigning monarch or (in canada their representitive the governer general) must sign any legslation before it is law, BUT, I am not aware of any single case in teh last 100 years where this does not happen. Also, the Monarch, or representitive, generally does not select the prime minister, the PM is the leader of the party elected with the majority of seats and must also be an elected member of parliment, or in the case of a minority govenment, the leader of the party capable of forming a coolition.

The monarch is really just a figurehead today.
07-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finding the balance

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you need to consider that all is relative. we are not talking about absolute security the level of security is to some extent inversely proportional to the level of freedom/.
We in the US forget that freedom isn't free (from risk).

We expect the government to protect us individually and collectively from all possible forms of injury, adjudicate recoveries when we are injured, prevent those who would take what is individually or collectively ours (including any of our "rights") from so doing. exact retribution from them, whether they be individuals, corporations or nation-states when they so do, ensure we are fed, clothed and educated, etc., etc.,

Yet having all those protections, guarantees and eyes-for-eyes, God forbid anyone from the government should tell any of us what we may or may not do - and NEVER tax us - tax the other guy who has more money than I.

I, for one, will accept responsibility for my actions and ask no recompense when I fail as a result thereof, if society will allow me unfettered freedom to act.
07-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Tom,
Most large city arenas have restictions on camers. Lenses can't be over 2 or 3 inches long etc. You can't get a good shot, unless you buy a courtside ticket for a million dollars. These are city owned places and should be less restrictive, because we pay the taxes.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Ya, that makes sense. Kind of like the firearms laws in the UK?

I see governments someday requiring permits for anyone carrying a pro or semi-pro looking camera. Background check and all! Then they will limit photography to lenses shorter than 100mm. ASSAULT CAMERAS!!!
07-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Do you get a discount for a monopod?

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, Paris was always issueing photography permits to use a tripod on public ground -- for monetary reasons, of course Ben, did ya know?
07-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Tom,
Most large city arenas have restictions on camers. Lenses can't be over 2 or 3 inches long etc. You can't get a good shot, unless you buy a courtside ticket for a million dollars. These are city owned places and should be less restrictive, because we pay the taxes.

Dave
The arena doesn't really care - the event sponsor, team or act that rents the arena (a private enterprise) believes it owns the rights to the images - and adds the camera clause to the rental contract.