Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Maternity Shoot

Hey y'all. I've recently been asked to take maternity photos for a friend who is due with #1 next month. I am happy to do it, and will be doing it for free. I am looking for any tips or advice or resources anyone may have for this type of shoot. I've never shot for anyone but myself before. While I am looking forward to the experience, I also really want to get some nice shots for her and her husband.

I am shooting with a K20D. Will update with my lenses momentarily.

Thanks!

02-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My opinion is that a pregnant woman is the most beautiful thing in the world. I once saw a black and white nude silhouette shot of, I believe Natalie Wood. Her right arm covered her breasts while her left hand caressed her stomach and her unborn child. Words could not describe the shot. If you can convince the husband and wife to do this shot, they will not be sorry.
02-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Forum Member

Organize...

In my limited experience, my single take away has been be organized. Know the images you want and stick to your script as much as possible. Remember, she's pregnant, and if she is not comfortable or simply tired (which can happen really quickly)... it will show, especially if you are catching shots of her face. If you are doing a long shoot, plan to have breaks. Keeping a pleasant, relaxed shoot goes a long way.

Most of all, enjoy it. It so great when you capture that pregnant "glow"...
02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Maternity Shoot

Thanks to both of you. I had a baby myself only 5 months ago so am very sensitive to what it's like to be pregnant, and all the aches and pains and exhaustion that goes with it. I can't imagine we'll go much over an hour for this.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 11:38 PM ----------

I guess I need to do some research and pick some images/poses. But I'd like some candidness as well.

02-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maternity photos are difficult to pull off in some respects. You need to gauge what your subject is comfortable with and what they are looking for in the the shoot. Try to understand if they are looking for more Boudoir Maternity Photography or Typical Family friendly style photos. I personally don't shoot the Boudoir style photos, and you will need to communicate about all of this BEFORE the shoot. You don't want either of you in an awkward situation.

Next, remember this shoot is all about Mom and Mom's belly. Get the belly in as many shots as possible, and for most people, you will need to try side shots to see the true size. Now, remember to watch Mom's hands, she will try to hold her belly like a basket ball... this doesn't look good in photos.

Last, Take a few "throw away" photos right in the beginning. What I mean is, every person who gets in front of the camera will FREAK OUT a little inside. Best thing to do, is pose them quickly and don't even worry about your settings or background, or pose, you don't want to keep these photos, you just want to get the wheels rolling and get your subjects to relax in front of the camera. When they finally relax, then you move on to your creative photos. I normally do 3-5 quick poses even if they suck and just start clicking. This helps a TON!

Ok small list of suggestions....

1) Put weight on back leg (away from camera)
2) Position hands one under belly, one on top, Near Arm should be under belly. (not a hard and fast rule, but really helpful when posing at first)
3) Shoulders up and back typically looks good, but it just depends on the Mom. Lots of people hunch a little, just try to correct them but don't over correct.
4) Natural smiles are best. Brush up on your stupid jokes, tell them every so often. Once you get going, they will start to smile more naturally
5) Pregnant women are uncomfortable especially near the end, try not to go over an hour unless your subject is willing and able. Also, don't ask every 10min if they are ok, just try to go for 30min and evaluate.

Here are a few from my shoot last weekend.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

A picture is worth a thousand words, so...
Just a few days ago I checked out a website of a friend of mine who happens to be a wedding photographer, and the last set of images he's added are of a pregnant woman with her man. Some are candids, some are not - you might be inspired. I don't know if posting links is allowed here, but I'll try: Róbert Fojtík ? fotograf » Blog
If not, search for Robert Fojtik photography.