Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #1

Can't use Pixel Shift Resolution in B mode

The K -3 manual says you can't use Pixel Shift Resolution in Bulb mode. Too bad, as I was hoping to use it to take astronomy photos at night.
Same for K-1?

Jim Carlisle

02-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by astrojim Quote
The K -3 manual says you can't use Pixel Shift Resolution in Bulb mode. Too bad, as I was hoping to use it to take astronomy photos at night.
Same for K-1?

Jim Carlisle
Yup. It wouldn't help for star photos anyway, since the stars move But the K-1's larger sensor should enable much clearer shots of the sky.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Same for K-1?

Jim Carlisle
For astro work, would you not be using the dedicated Astrotracer feature anyway?
02-26-2016, 02:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
For astro work, would you not be using the dedicated Astrotracer feature anyway?
No, serious astro photographers have their own equatorial mount

02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
I do have my own telescope and mount, but was hoping I could use the Pentax K-3 or K-1 with their advanced Pixel Shift Resolution. I wouldn't use the astrotracer. But having the timing limited to under 30 seconds defeats that hope.

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 10:51 AM ----------

No, as I have superior tracking in my 14" telescope. But I would have loved to try the Pentax Pixel Shift Resolution technology in astronomy exposures longer than 30 seconds.
02-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Stacking will give similar benefits to pixel shift. The signal-to-noise ratio improves and color clarity can also improve. 4 stacked images yield 1/4 the noise of a single image.

Deep Sky Stacker software will adjust for movement between frames. Even an equatorial mount will have drift if you aren't using an autoguider.

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 12:41 PM ----------

...my 14" telescope...
Which scope? If it's a typical 14" Schmidt Cassegrain with focal length just over 3500mm, have you found a good focal reducer that doesn't vignette for DSLR astrophotography?
02-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K -3 manual says you can't use Pixel Shift Resolution in Bulb mode.
Makes sense to me. I don't see the point in precisely shifting the sensor by a single pixel if you are going to use random exposure times. I would expect that longer exposure times, even if they are controlled by camera, will give poorer results with Pixel Shift.

02-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
It is an RCX400, slightly under F8. I do have a a focal reducer, but since I have been using ST 402ME camera, vignetting isn't a problem. Stacking works well. I guess I was dreaming of a DSLR that took over these tasks.
02-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

Interval Composite Mode is a form of automated stacking. The K3 and K3ii have it, so it seems likely the K1 will have it too.
02-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
Interval Composite Mode is a form of automated stacking. The K3 and K3ii have it, so it seems likely the K1 will have it too.
What is Interval Composite Mode?

Jim Carlisle
02-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
Is Interval Composite Mode another term for Pixel Shift Resolution?
02-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume that PS takes a given shutter speed and divides it in four to see how long to leave the shutter open for each frame. Since B has no set shutter speed, this is probably why they have not enabled the two functions to work together. However, it may be possible to add a manual input in future firmware upgrades to the PS function to give it the desired shutter speed while still in B mode. Then the common deep-sky exposure of 600 seconds would consist of 150 seconds each. The standard astro rule of greater tracking accuracy needed for longer exposures would still apply. PS is superior to stacking since PS requires no interpolation at all. In other words, if you stack a series of PS light frames, there would be no debayering interpolation necessary since each pixel has full colour information. That is a huge win. PixInsight already has a "no debayering interpolation" setting that would be tailormade for pixel shifted frames.
03-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

What is Interval Composite Mode?

Jim Carlisle
Sorry to bump this up, but I lost track of this thread and didn't see the question until now, and I don't see it having been answered by someone else. Interval Composite Mode is a shooting mode in the K-3 and newer cameras (I do not recall if the K-5/K-5ii has it or not) that shoots a number of frames and combines them into a single image file. The images are combined in one of three ways, chosen when selecting Interval Composite Mode: Average, Additive or Bright. It is documented on pg 51 of the K3 manual.
03-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
(I do not recall if the K-5/K-5ii has it or not
K5 doesn't have the same. It does have an "interval shooting" option on camera menu 2. But you can't choose a particular composite mode (sorry don't know the default on K5, which it compares to on K3ii). On k3ii it's an option on drive mode which is also different.
03-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
K5 doesn't have the same. It does have an "interval shooting" option on camera menu 2. But you can't choose a particular composite mode (sorry don't know the default on K5, which it compares to on K3ii). On k3ii it's an option on drive mode which is also different.
Yeah, its also a Drive Mode in the K-3, I wrote the wrong word for what I was thinking, sorry for any confusion.