Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shift Questions

I have the k-3II and have not really explored the pixel shift option so far. But a friend wants me to reproduce some artwork for her and I thought this might be a good application for pixel shift.

So a few questions:
1) What software to use to process these? I only use Lightroom and PS at the moment.

2) Is there any improvement in a black & white image? I took sample shots of a test chart with and without pixel shift, opened in Lightroom and cannot see any difference. Is it because the chart is black & white or does Lightroom not work?

3) Any tips or suggestions from those that have been using pixel shift?

02-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I have used nothing but the Pentax provided software, converting DNG to TIF and taking it from there. It works well. I also found that the JPGs produced by the camera are fine starting points in many cases.
02-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like to shoot at a setting of f/8 to f/22 on Pixel Shift, (PS) I get my exposure set correctly, use a solid tripod, and snap the shot. The shot will process it in camera. I take the shot & work on it like any other shot I take in LR or Photoshop. I wish they had something like Pixel Shift with Bracketed exposure as well. That would be interesting, PS & HDR.
02-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Same here, I use LR & PS CC. The sharpening will show slightly better comparatively but the color resolution is spot on. I've tried PDU 5 but really don't like working with it and I didn't see any better results.

02-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This page might prove helpful:

Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I will read those links.

Any thoughts on why I am not seeing any difference with a black-and-white image?
03-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I like to shoot at a setting of f/8 to f/22 on Pixel Shift, (PS) I get my exposure set correctly, use a solid tripod, and snap the shot. The shot will process it in camera. I take the shot & work on it like any other shot I take in LR or Photoshop. I wish they had something like Pixel Shift with Bracketed exposure as well. That would be interesting, PS & HDR.
I was just out last night, giving an evening landscape a shot with Pixel Shift. I had hoped to get 3 bracketed exposures taken while using pixel shift, and then blend them with photoshop. With pixel shift turned on, my K3II would not seem to take the 3 bracketed shots as I was expecting.

Is that simply not how it works? Can I not have pixel shift on while attempting auto bracketing?

03-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 1434 Quote
Is that simply not how it works? Can I not have pixel shift on while attempting auto bracketing?
That seems to be correct. You could still bracket manually though, but either shooting in manual or using exposure compensation.

Manual exposure seems to me to be the easiest way to accomplish this. Set your exposure, take your PS image then change shutter speed down one stop, then up one stop repeating the shot. One stop or whatever bracket width you want.