Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question about HDR

I have admired the photo by Rense https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/315167-black-white-corsican-pines.html over and over, marveling at the fine detail in both the highlights and shadows. Absolutely stunning! I'm assuming he used the HDR process in producing this, don't you think?

My question is, if I were to drive back to the scene of this photo I took https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/314668-landscape-home-home-range.html and used the HDR option with my K-30, could I expect an improvement in the overall image.... with details in the shadows and highlights in the clouds, somewhat like what Rense obtained in his marvelous image? The siding in the old house in my image has a great deal of detail, as does the tree trunk, but it's lost in the shadows.

This scene is less than an hour's drive from my house and I'd like to re-take it before the grass turns green and the tree begins to get leaves on it.... and hopefully catching some nice, puffy white clouds. For some reason known only to the Gods of the Aged, I failed to try HDR while I was there the first time! Then, I'd like to go back again in the height of spring.... again, hoping for some clouds. Wild flowers would be too much to ask for! Then AGAIN, go back in the dead of winter, when there is snow on the ground. The object to accumulate a "triptych" I think it's called.

I know the ultimate answer to my question is to just drive back there and give it a whirl, but.... it's a slow day and I thought I'd ask. Also, any tips you can offer on the subject of HDR photography would be greatly appreciated. I've only tried it a couple of times, with some pretty crappy results.

I have a couple of lenses at my disposal that I think are capable of capturing the fine detail I'm looking for. A FA-50mm f:2.8 macro and a DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro. NOW is when I need one of those shiny new K-1s and all those mega-pixels! I think either of these lenses are capable of out-resolving my K-30/K-50 by a respectable margin, wouldn't you think? My plan calls for three final images that will be about 12" x 20."

Last edited by Dewman; 02-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.
02-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are many ways to HDR, and they all have pros and cons. In the film days, and still not a bad solution, I'd recommend using a graduated filter to control the highlights in the sky. For B&W, you can really use any color, it doesn't have to be neutral density gray, but of course red will give you more contrast and more density vs. just helping your dynamic range with a neutral gray.

The auto HDR function on your K-30 is definitely worth trying, but I would use a tripod.

The best HDR results come from shooting RAW with your color space set to AdobeRGB. Camera on a tripod, triggered remotely or with a 2 second self-timer delay. Aperture Value exposure mode, 100 ISO, typically around f/8 so that exposure is changed through shutter speed....otherwise you'll have different depth-of-field between shots.

Some photographers will just auto-bracket 3-5 shots over, normal, and under exposed. I prefer to actually get a meter reading on Manual exposure mode for my brightest highlight, my darkest shadows, and a normal exposure. If there is any wind causing movement in leaves, branches, clouds, etc, that will cause ghosting, so I usually try to limit my bracketing to only 3 shots.

I've found the two best software for HDR is either Photomatix Pro 2 or HDR Efex Pro (which is a plug-in for Lightroom or Photoshop).
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/hdr-efex-pro/

There are free trial versions of Photoshop and both of these HDR apps, so you can try it out before spending money. It all comes down to your level of expectations and your willingness to spend time on getting it right (effective use of HDR without it looking fake).
02-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There are many ways to HDR, and they all have pros and cons. In the film days, and still not a bad solution, I'd recommend using a graduated filter to control the highlights in the sky. For B&W, you can really use any color, it doesn't have to be neutral density gray, but of course red will give you more contrast and more density vs. just helping your dynamic range with a neutral gray.

The auto HDR function on your K-30 is definitely worth trying, but I would use a tripod.

The best HDR results come from shooting RAW with your color space set to AdobeRGB. Camera on a tripod, triggered remotely or with a 2 second self-timer delay. Aperture Value exposure mode, 100 ISO, typically around f/8 so that exposure is changed through shutter speed....otherwise you'll have different depth-of-field between shots.

Some photographers will just auto-bracket 3-5 shots over, normal, and under exposed. I prefer to actually get a meter reading on Manual exposure mode for my brightest highlight, my darkest shadows, and a normal exposure. If there is any wind causing movement in leaves, branches, clouds, etc, that will cause ghosting, so I usually try to limit my bracketing to only 3 shots.

I've found the two best software for HDR is either Photomatix Pro 2 or HDR Efex Pro (which is a plug-in for Lightroom or Photoshop).
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/hdr-efex-pro/

There are free trial versions of Photoshop and both of these HDR apps, so you can try it out before spending money. It all comes down to your level of expectations and your willingness to spend time on getting it right (effective use of HDR without it looking fake).

Alex, thank you so much for your information. I intend to shoot all three "seasons" in B&W and then again, in color. I think it might make a striking triptych with the spring-time photo in the middle, in bright HDR colors and the other two in B&W on either side. The next time I go back, I WILL be prepared. I have several different colors of filters, (red, blue, green, orange) as well as a whole collection of Cokin filters. I'll most definitely be shooting off of a tripod and use a remote shutter release.

It's in a very remote region of NE Oregon, on Hwy 95, with no houses or other buildings for miles. A nice, wide area to park my car a good distance from traffic. I can work at my leisure, with no danger of being "interfered with." I'd love to get closer to the old house, but I wouldn't do so without the owner's permission. It would involve climbing over a barbed wire fence.... and.... well, you see the problems. I could find out who the landowner is through the County Tax Assessor's office. Just a thought.
02-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a great project. Hope you share the finished results on PF one day.

If there isn't a "No Trespassing" sign, the fence maybe for keeping livestock in. Still, better to ask permission with an offer to give the owner a copy of your finished triptych. Generally it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, but with permission you won't have any clouds of doubt over your head as you wait out the weather or the right light.

Four years ago I drove thru the Palouse on a college tour and visits with my son in both Moscow and Pullman. Great rolling hills with the occasional barn, tree, and lots of sky.

Last edited by Alex645; 02-28-2016 at 05:11 PM.
02-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used HDRMerge. It does a good job without adding in tone mapping.

HDRMerge

BTW...open source and free...

Steve
02-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I used HDRMerge. It does a good job without adding in tone mapping.

HDRMerge

BTW...open source and free...

Steve

Thanks for the source, Steve. Saved in "Favorites."
02-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks for the source, Steve. Saved in "Favorites."
Just remember it gives you a single RAW file that you then have to post process like any other RAW file.

A quick example of it's capabilities.

This is pulled from a singe shot.

This is 5 bracketed shots combined in HDRMerge then processed the same way. (Just adjusting some sliders in Lightroom)

02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sounds like a great project. Hope you share the finished results on PF one day.

If there isn't a "No Trespassing" sign, the fence maybe for keeping livestock in. Still, better to ask permission with an offer to give the owner a copy of your finished triptych. Generally it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, but with permission you won't have any clouds of doubt over your head as you wait out the weather or the right light.

Four years ago I drove thru the Parouse on a college tour and visits with my son in both Moscow and Pullman. Great rolling hills with the occasional barn, tree, and lots of sky.

The fence is there to keep cattle contained. I wouldn't consider climbing over the fence, even though there are no "NO TRESPASSING" signs around. Just respect for the landowner and part of my upbringing.

The Palouse region is striking, especially during the "golden hour." As you say, rolling hills and waves of grain as far as the eye can see. A photographer's dream!