Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igelkotten Quote
Great, hope we get that in an Pentax DSLR in a near future.

The link didn't work....
Hmmm, for some reason direct link doesn't work. But you can go to main site Gerd Waloszek select english at the bottom then gxr from menu and manual focusing and focusing support from articles.

02-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #17

This was my whole reason for switching to Rangefinders (Leica/Contax) a while ago, and the old K1000.It's also cool to put vintage glass via adapter or otherwise on your digital camera as sort of a digital back. f8 and be there, as it were.
02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I think Hyperfocal is only useful under certain circumstances--landscapes for instance. If you're looking for sharpness in say a portrait, the focal plane is sharper then the DOF indicated by a DOF calculator. At least I've read about this.
Not true, experienced event and wedding photographers use hyperfocal distance to take shots in the old days since auto-focus mechanism is not as sophisticated as modern days. The same principle still applies. So, knowing the hyperfocal distance helps in some situations.
02-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I think Hyperfocal is only useful under certain circumstances--landscapes for instance. If you're looking for sharpness in say a portrait, the focal plane is sharper then the DOF indicated by a DOF calculator. At least I've read about this.
Yeah, there is actually only a single point or plane that is "in focus" -- the rest of things within "the depth of field" are just under a threshold of "acceptable" out-of-focusness...

03-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Nowadays it's going to be rare for schools to cover it, due to the fact that many schools don't have film classes anymore.
Hyperfocal also applies to the digital world. It is essential knowledge. Here is another link for DOF and hyper focal distance calculation:

Online Depth of Field Calculator
03-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know about other schools, but it wasn't brought up in any of the Digital classes I had. Even in the film class, the teacher brought it up but didn't go into deep detail with it.