Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good judgement and experience (long)

I recently read a short saying that I liked so much it became my saying of the week that I put on my work computer as a screen saver.
"Good judgement usually comes from experience; experience frequently comes from bad judgement"
I now have some experience. As most of you know my K10D got some water damage during a torrential downpour a couple of weekends ago. http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/30737-h...-too-soon.html
I am convinced now that the water damage happened AFTER the storm, getting into the camera thru the lens. The camera was working perfectly when I got home after the storm, I dried it off, checked it out and put it away in the bag, with the same lens still on. A day later I noticed that the lens was a bit foggy so I put the lens still attached to the camera in the window and directed the air from the window fan onto it. The lens cleared up nicely in a couple of days. Unfortunately it was then that I noticed that my camera's 4 way function switch was not working correctly. Moral of the story and my experience...If the K10D gets wet, and you have a non sealed lens attached, as soon as possible
A: Remove the lens and put it somewhere where it can dry out
B: Carefully dry off the camera and check all functions
C: Place the camera, either with a different (dry!) lens or the body cap in a place where it can dry out too.
I think that if I had done the three steps above, I would not have had the problems I did.
Now for the happy ending. After a week plus of trying everything I and all of you could think of, the camera was still malfunctioning. So I decided to send it back for repair. Since it was a long holiday weekend I would have to wait till tomorrow to send it. This morning I decided to get it ready for its journey, but before I did, I decided to check the 4way rocker switch one final time. It now is working! Yea and hooray! My K10D is again fully functional. So my experience is this. It may take up to two weeks (!) for the K10D to dry out.
Thanks to everyone for their advice and support. I'm greatly appreciative.

NaCl(now to go out and shoot some stuff!)H2O

07-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Kei

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear your camera is back to normal without sending it away for repair, this is certainly good news.
07-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
C: Place the camera, either with a different (dry!) lens or the body cap in a place where it can dry out too.
Would it be best to maybe lean the body cap on it instead of putting it fully on. I would think that putting a different lens / body cap on would still prevent it from drying out.
07-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hope you didnt have any jobs to shoot when your camera was wet!!

8)

you need a couple of backup K20D's to go along with that K10D, right? convince the wife....

cheers

07-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You deserve...

Hi Salty!

You deserve to get the shot of a lifetime for going through that experience with such patience and persistence. Glad your camera is back to normal and I hope you get out and take a wonderful photo to celebrate!
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm glad for you. Maybe I'll learn something from your mishap.
07-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd be too worried about dust contamination

QuoteOriginally posted by dgsullivan Quote
Would it be best to maybe lean the body cap on it instead of putting it fully on. I would think that putting a different lens / body cap on would still prevent it from drying out.
Instead of leaving the body cap off, I'd get put one or two silica gel packets in the mirror cavity if I thought it needed it, but keep the body cap on tight. I might open up the other hatches; battery, sd card, I/O etc. There's not as much there that a bit of dust can harm.

NaCl(dust can be tricky little devils, sneaking in where they are not wanted)H2O

07-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Salty!

You deserve to get the shot of a lifetime for going through that experience with such patience and persistence. Glad your camera is back to normal and I hope you get out and take a wonderful photo to celebrate!
Hi Tracy! Long time no see! Welcome back! As for that photo, I'm on vacation this next week and planning on going over to Flushing Meadow park tomorrow morning to do the Unisphere and whatever else I find. Are you still involved in the skating club? Can we expect to see some more wonderful skating shots?

NaCl(good to see some of the "originals" back)H2O
07-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Hope you didnt have any jobs to shoot when your camera was wet!!

8)

you need a couple of backup K20D's to go along with that K10D, right? convince the wife....

cheers
I still have my trusty DS as a back up. But I found it to be very slow in everything. I've gotten very spoiled by the K10D. But I am thinking of getting another K10D body. As for the couple of K20D's, I'd have to convince my landlord that he doesn't need my rent check for the next few months. Either that or my boss to give me a big raise. And I do buy my lotto tix

NaCl(the lotto is probably the most likely of the above)H2O
07-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I'm glad for you. Maybe I'll learn something from your mishap.
I think the biggest thing I learned is not to get complacent. Water and complex electronics don't play together well. I was shooting with a plastic bag surrounding the lens and thought I was being clever. If I had taken better care once I got home things would have been completely different.

NaCl(and especially ... don't brag about how well things work!)H2O
07-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am very glad your camera is working again. That is a bit scary and I know I have learned for your experience!
07-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

yea! finally happy ending! and thanks for doing the "testing" for us ;P
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

great to hear, salty!

just remember to dry out any silica packets you used, if possible, or replace them, now
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Salty, I'm glad to hear your K10D is back to normal. Concur with your post-damp procedure. Remember, everyone, that a sealed body, if left with lens on or capped after moisture gets inside, isn't going to dry out any time soon! Silica gel packets are your friends!
07-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm happy for you Salty

I wouldn't use the body cap either, I think that it'd stop the air flow which is what'll dry everything out.

To keep the dust bunnies from visiting I'd wrap it up carefully in a lens cloth.