Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

OMG ... did I break my on-board flash???

So I was out on a boat with some friends on the 4th, taking some pictures with my K100D and the on-board flash, when after one of them, I heard (and felt) a very strange pop. Since then, the on-board flash won't work, regardless of the settings (M, Av, Tv, auto, scenic). The camera won't even take a picture when it's set to mandatory fire, but it works fine when I put the flash down. The camera fires fine with my Sunpak external flash as well.

My camera is unfortunately 1.2 years old. Has taken 7,000 pics. So it just falls outside of the 1-yr warranty.

So, does everyone agree my on-board bulb is broken? And what can I do about this? Is it an easy thing to replace? For me to replace? I had no idea that the on-board bulb could ever break. I'm kinda stupefied by this.

07-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yep, just like any bulb, they can pop. take a look at the fresnel.. does it appear slightly discolored? replacing the tube isn't a job you can undertake, but, if you take it to a shop, the repair bill shouldn't be TOO terribly large.
07-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
yep, just like any bulb, they can pop. take a look at the fresnel.. does it appear slightly discolored? replacing the tube isn't a job you can undertake, but, if you take it to a shop, the repair bill shouldn't be TOO terribly large.
Thanks. Will try this tomorrow. Wish me luck.
07-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Moo

Try setting the option "allow shooting while flash charging" or whatever its called, and see if it lets you take pictures with the flash up then..
If you felt it, it may have been the capacitor that blew, and not not the bulb.

07-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi.
I have ist DL, and I have the same problem: I didn't hear any strange pop, but suddenly between two shots my built-in flash decided not to work in any mode. Camera wouldn't even do auto focus when the flash is up.
I tried turning on the setting "allow shooting while flash charging" as Moo suggested and it shoots, but auto focus still wouldn't work.
Any ideas?
My biggest problem is that I live in Bosnia and I don't have any shop anywhere near, so I'll have to manage it by myself, hopefully with help from someone from this forum.
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the flash on my then new k10d went, it fried some circuits and had to be replaced so I guess you are lucky it still works. That made for a lousy Christmas 2006
07-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If camera operates normally otherwise, you have an external flash, and the camera is out of warranty, I think you should just use it that way.