Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Any Good (Non-Bias) Dig Cam Magazines Out There?

Hey All,
After only two issues of my subscription to "Shutterbug", I have had it with their Nikon/Canon/Leica bias and allowing "Broadway Photo" to advertise on there knowing very well they are known for their scamming techniques. I'm not a professional and I really don't need tips on setting up a studio and other high tech tips, just looking for a magazine for someone who just like to shoot pictures and tips on making them even better.

Thanks
Barry

07-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a Canadian magazine called "Photo Life" I also like "Outdoor Photography Canada". Both have fewer ads and are more about photography than gear.

Photo Life :: HOME - Current Issue

Outdoor Photography Canada
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The local Barnes & Nobel carry several British rags that cause me to make several stops a week into the store to make sure I don't miss the latest copy. I should have gotten a subscription before the dollar went south. Today, it is less expensive to get it in the bookstore. Costco started carrying one of the magazines, and I get that one there.

The one I like best is "Digital Photo". Their web site is: Digital Photography, Digital Cameras & Photographers | Photo Answers
It is a cross between photographic techniques, software techniques, post processing, and equipment reviews. The enclosed CD-ROM contains (usually) about 10 computer videos (post processing techniques/tutorials), sample images from the equipment reviews, sample tutorial images, some PDF files of past articles, and user submitted images. This one is my favorite and I don't miss a copy. Light reading, but good, basic stuff in it.

My second choice is "Digital Photographer". Same stuff as "Digital Photo", but also includes more 'professional' stuff, like profiles of working photographers. I get this one for the videos on the CD-ROM and the tutorials, (even though they are not as good).

Third choice is "Digital Camera Magazine". My feeling on this one are the same as the "Digital Photographer" magazine. Good, but not as valuable as "Digital Photo".

The other magazine I regularly purchase is not camera specific, but closely related. It is called "Photoshop Creative". The three camera magazines cover all the popular post processing software, but as you can tell from the title, this one is PS only, and sometimes Elements.

The common 'feature' of these magazines is that they come with CD-ROM discs that by themselves, make the purchase worthwhile. They are typically about 50% more expensive than U.S. photo magazines, due to the inclusion of the discs. Very much worth it, in my opinion.

One 'problem' with the English magazines is that they don't show up in U.S. bookstores until about two-four weeks after they are available in British bookstores. Haven't figured out the release schedule yet, so that is why I make frequent stops in our local B&N.

Those Brits produce some good magazines. The major thing I just HATE about U.S. magazine publications is that they start an article on one page, then you have to go to the back of the magazine to finish the story. British magazines keep an article on consecutive pages. (American publishers, take note. Until you 'fix' that, I won't be purchasing any of your magazines.)
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Magazines

I agree with Digital photo, also another British magazine 'Digital SLR' . Both have more photographic relates articles than gear.
Unlike the American magazines, the adverts do not interupt the articles, they are usually clumped together.

Sandra

07-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in Europe and got a subscription to Digital Camera Magazine since the offer included a freebie I wanted that was almost worth the subscription price itself. I doubt I will renew, but for a year it has enough tips, user photos and so on to keep me occupied. Covers point'n'shoot and has a reviews section I'm not really interested in. But then I'd rather see aesthetic and pro issues rather that yet another Photoshop tutorial, which is how all these mags pad their pages.

Had a positive though misleading review of the K20D. No or next to no Pentax shooters though.