Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
OK... the thing that bothers me about RH is that, as much as I hate to admit it, because of him I almost bought Nikon when I got into digital.
He couches his "tests" and evaluations as authoritative science and he seems very credible to the average person.
I too stumbled across his blog when first looking at SLRs, and was initially discouraged from looking closer at Pentax. Fortunately I realise the importance of fact checking so I decided to go and try one in a shop... and surprisingly.... the AF worked..... and the metering worked.... in fact, everything seemed to work just as well as the other cameras the salesperson was showing me...

And since then I haven't had the time of the day for the sensationalist exaggerations he posts.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of people who buy cameras online without ever physically trying them.

RH - you've said you don't have a vendetta against Pentax, fine, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I know you recieved rather poor customer service from a Pentax agent, and the letter you sent to the CEO was ignored, but from what you post on your blog, and the number of readers, I imagine you've cost Pentax far more money in lost sales than it ever would have cost them to have given you better service.

This isn't meant as an attack, just a question - was it worth the time and effort? Your writing is of decent enough quality, so some effort must go into it, not to mention finding all the articles and tests you link to. Wouldn't you have rather been out photographing things, or spending time with your family or something?

07-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Wouldn't you have rather been out photographing things, or spending time with your family or something?
"Measurbators" do not take photographs! (by RH's own admission)
07-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
"Measurbators" do not take photographs! (by RH's own admission)
Well how about "Borrowing" them?
07-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The funny thing about the evils of measurebation, is that all of us that like to go out and take pictures rely totally on good measurebators having done a good job during the design and manufacture process.

For you can bet your life that all the camera manufacturers employ hordes of people to pixel-peep and measurebate their equipment to destruction - so that we don't have to.

Just be glad that (hopefully at least), the good folk at Pentax employed for their meticulous and reliable measurebation skills, ply their trade using methods that are well-designed, and statistically and scientifically sound.

Happily for us, it's a career that is probably not open to those whose preference is for bias and pseudo-science.

07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I used to read RH comments as good because you often find too many fanboys on forums dedicated to one brand or another however...

Where are his own test??? He constantly bashes other people's test when they praise pentex while never showing any of his own. He tries to take snippets and charts and pictures from other people's sites and pass it off as facts for his own arguement which i find ridiculous when you can't make your own real standardized test.

Anyone with half a mind can take random data and quotes and make it sound one way or another and thats what he does.

Time after time he claims that with info like his , it helps improve Pentex.. Well with no real test yourself I doubt pentax even takes a second look at his blog.
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can we please let this thread drop? It's only fueling his trolling engine even more.
07-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

:P lol you actually think he'll stop. It's all he has

For everyone defending him. Do you actually think he gets offended? He obviously puts himself in the position on purpose. It's almost like those crack smoking celebrities that get pissed off aobut the paparazzi...

07-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
:P lol you actually think he'll stop. It's all he has

For everyone defending him. Do you actually think he gets offended? He obviously puts himself in the position on purpose. It's almost like those crack smoking celebrities that get pissed off aobut the paparazzi...
i'm not defending him,

i'm looking down on everyone thats bashing him

when its obvious this only fuels him even more.
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

That series of replies in the blog is really enough for my friday morning. My brain hurts!
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Banned

my MX, Ilford film and I are going to stay clear of this one.

or not

I idolize gary winogrand. look at his photos, most of them from a technical standpoint (particularly his most well known) are quite poor but they have feeling and mood and capture a moment... what do I care if my AF isn't lightning fast? what do I care if I cant shoot at 10 fps? what do I care if my light meter isnt 100% correct 100% of the time? Ill telly you why I don't care, because at the end of they day my pentax cameras take great photos and I enjoy using them more than I can explain. instead of spending everyday trying to show people all of there flaws and how other systems don't have those particular flaws I spend my free time using them. most people covet leica right? yea guess what gary's leica wasn't close to perfect despite it being top of the line, the best of the best. (the 'canon' of its day) yet even in poor shape that particular leica is a treasure. so is my MX, and so is my superA and my K110D and my K1000.... if i were to become a famous photographer one day do you honestly think people are going to look at my photos and say 'oh, his pentax wasnt a very good camera look how it didnt get perfect exposore, and would you look at that focus! it isnt close to perfect!' No. and you know why because they will be more concerned with the mood the feeling the story of my photos not the flaws of my equipment. so what does it matter if my camera body doesnt deliever everything it could possibly deliever in 100% order? it doesnt. you can buy a hasselbland and I bet you would find something about it and say 'huh my pentax could do better than that.' so I ask you ricehigh, to what end?

are my pentax cameras perfect? not even closem but they do what I want them to do. if they didn't I simply wouldn't use them. no need to constantly pick and proud in hopes that one day they might do what I want, because then I couldn't enjoy photography. I say this to ricehigh for one reason, you spend way too much time over analyzing everything pentax, and we all know it. you do annoy me most of the time and I wonder why you don't analyze your 5D or canon in general they way you do pentax? that easily lends itself to a view of uneven negativity and to a group of satisfied pentax users its should be obvious that this particular view is not going to be met with a loving embrace especially the way you advertise your blog repeatedly on these forums. I think Benjamin can go to far sometimes, but the thing is.. he uses his equipment and enjoys using it even if it isn't perfect that gives him an excuse to analyze and nit pick at it. what excuse do you have if you are hesitant to even pick up your K100D?

every time I miss a shot because of a hesitation or what have you, I wonder what my MX would have captured and it bugs me to no end that I missed it, I wonder how many shots you have lost spending so much time telling people the reason you spend so much time not shooting... of course you still have your 5D... top of the line right? and you can use your pentax lenses on it so why not just sell your K100D use your canon body and pentax/canon lenses and be happy? I simply don't get your reasoning for continuously criticizing pentax for not meeting your demands in a camera when you seem to have what you need with your canon body and selection of lenses. the 5D is outdated and has its own flaws, yet you use it or maybe not... I say put one of your FA lenses on that 5D and actually spend some real time enjoying photography instead of analyzing and scrutinizing your tools.

thats all I got...

Last edited by séamuis; 07-10-2008 at 03:54 PM.
07-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Take tonnes of pictures and worry about your children's education, your hydro bill, and how your favourite ball team is doing. Don't worry about this crusaders antics. This kind of angst will only shorten your life, and give you heart palpitations.

c[_]