Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I find it funny that people worry about buying online and shipping, since generally camera stores only stock body + kit lens, or a few generic consumer lenses, so if you want something else, you have to wait for them to order it in.

And if it's a return or a repair, you generally have to wait for them to send it away and get it back.

So why bother paying a middle man? You can do all that bit yourself and save a lot of money.

07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm guessing Toronto.
Nope.......and you are going to go raving mad....
Montreal

I dont want to make you drull even more but we have a "flea market" ( dont know if i spelt that one correctly ) twice a year.
They call it a flea market...i call it a treasure chest.
I saw a brand new LX with a 200 f2.8 mounted...brand new. Price tag 500.00 OH MY GOD!!!! Bought it on the spot
I cried my eyes out all the way home...tears of joy.
So every 6 months i go there....my last catch was a Pentax110 with all the lenses for 125.00...in its original leather case!!!!
I own a little Pentax Museum at home

Last edited by babelphotos; 07-09-2008 at 05:00 PM.
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

ahhhhh crap lol
07-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FHP, here in the Austin metro area we have 3-4 Ritz/Wolf stores - no Pentax inventory to speak of - and one (1!) actual camera store. I was in the camera store today - 1 K20D, 1 K200D, 1 AF360 flash on display - about 400 K's and C's. I think they had 2-3 Pentax lenses. It's very difficult to get them to "talk" Pentax. I only go there to get my hands physically on something (today it was a tripod).

Sorry, too windy!! Meant to point out Craigslist as a possible alternative. I've bought several Pentax bodies and lenses that way.

The good news is the Pentax "stuff" is out there - it's just a little bit harder to find.

07-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Forum Member

Ok i shouldnt do that maybe but.....
Never had any problems with them...bought 6000.00 worth of equipment with them and never complain. They ship fast also.

eBay Store - Prodigital2000: Lowepro, Canon, Digital Accessories

OK OK OK its Ebay.....but its a Ebay store
They also sell the K20 under 1K!!!
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that nobody else has posted the site where you can rent Pentax lenses from.

Online Camera Lens Rental for Canon, Nikon, and PENTAX Cameras

I haven't rented from them myself yet, but other people around here have and have liked them. If you rent a lens and find that you want to keep it permanently, then they'll credit half of your rental fee towards the purchase of the lens from them.

For those of you who do have camera shops that stock Pentax, consider yourselves blessed. As far as I know, there isn't anywhere in my state (Florida) that has a decent selection of new Pentax gear.

I'll also give another thumbs' up for the Marketplace here. I've both bought and sold here and I've had no real problems to speak of, unlike Fleabay.

Heather
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #22
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'm facing serious issue I didn't anticipate when I chose Pentax; there just aren't quality dedicated photo outlets selling and supporting Pentax in many markets. All you can do is buy online, hope for the best, and get to know your Adorama or B&H returns deptartment folks real well.

I like Pentax, I think my K100 with the 50 f/1.4 is just about a perfect starting point to learn the dslr basics, and I am very happy with it, but now that I'm looking to add a couple of Pentax lenses it's difficult to try and buy when nobody carries, or even rents, Pentax or Pentax-mount after market lenses in this area.

Example: here in the 3+ million Phoenix metro area only Ritz still carries Pentax and then only K100 and K200 kits with the 18-55, no other lenses, no way to try before buying. And frankly they are, understandably, less than enthusiastic ordering a second lens if you don't want the first that comes in on order. The other photo shops won't even order Pentax.

I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my losses early, sell what I have while I can get a good price and switch brands. Or is there a work around your folks can suggest, I hope...
FHPhotog
I was saddened by your posting - with reference to needing to get to know the returns departments well..............I suppose it's inevitable that sometimes something gets lost along the way, with Adorama and the other big photographic stores like us - constantly seeking more and more competitive pricing - sometimes customer service gets neglected.

Don't have any answers for you - but if you ever have a problem or an issue with an order from Adorama, I'm only an email away!
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

07-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #23

In Estonia luckily one of the two biggest photo stores is also the official Pentax importer, so lots of stuff here. Also the just started renting out Pentax equipment.
07-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
What town? You don't have a location listed in your profile.
I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I haven't completed my profile yet
07-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'm facing serious issue I didn't anticipate when I chose Pentax; there just aren't quality dedicated photo outlets selling and supporting Pentax in many markets. All you can do is buy online, hope for the best, and get to know your Adorama or B&H returns deptartment folks real well.

I like Pentax, I think my K100 with the 50 f/1.4 is just about a perfect starting point to learn the dslr basics, and I am very happy with it, but now that I'm looking to add a couple of Pentax lenses it's difficult to try and buy when nobody carries, or even rents, Pentax or Pentax-mount after market lenses in this area.

Example: here in the 3+ million Phoenix metro area only Ritz still carries Pentax and then only K100 and K200 kits with the 18-55, no other lenses, no way to try before buying. And frankly they are, understandably, less than enthusiastic ordering a second lens if you don't want the first that comes in on order. The other photo shops won't even order Pentax.

I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my losses early, sell what I have while I can get a good price and switch brands. Or is there a work around your folks can suggest, I hope...
FHPhotog
Given that you live in Phoenix, which I guess is Phoenix Arizona USA...what on earth are you worried about?

You have access to the finest online camera stores in the world and even have one of them responding to your post personally, guaranteeing that any issues will be dealt with, IF & when they arise.

What more do you want? Think yourself extremely lucky that you dont live down here where prices are double what you pay and the concerns about returns are emphasised by a thing called the Pacific Ocean.

Put Helen to the test, order your lens and see what sort of service you get, if its bad, then scream it from the tree tops, but until then give it a go.

Sorry for the rant, but this post stretches tolerance.

Cheers.
07-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #26
Inactive Account

The lack of shops is my problem, two shops but when you mention pentax, they act as though you have just got out of a space ship! or.. 'No but C or N have a good system you would like...etc etc'
I have bought online and , as yet have had no problem. But it would be nice to be able to go to a shop and feel the handle the article before purchase. I have had to rely on a couple of people who have had the camera for me to see it before purchase.

I like the pentax system and have many old lenses and do not feeel the need to change systems because there are no shops to purcahse from.
07-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Ah hell, let him go. Sounds like the OP is more than half way out the door anyway.
That'll leave more great Pentax gear for us that are too dumb to know any better.
07-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Usually buying any lenses in a commercial store is just too expensive. The services are not necessarily that great with little knowledge about pentax products.
07-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #29

I understand the frustration since I live in a country where nothing is Pentax. In five years, I've seen one tourist with a Pentax DSLR. It took me two years to get the lenses I needed. After that, I bought a K10D with a 12-24mm some months after it came out.

I consider occasionally switching but there is nothing for me out there. I am addicted to in-camera SR and to the two-button system on the Pentax.
07-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Just to let the interested locals know. ACE PHOTO in Ashburn, VA is a full-up Pro store and is a Pentax heaven. Always have bodies and lenses (Pentax AND third party) in stock and will let you take them outside of the store to shoot test shots. The owners and most of the sales staff have either bought K10D/K20Ds or switched over totally.

Penn Camera is fairly Pentax friendly as well. Most Ritz folks will look at you like you asked for a rattlesnake if you ask about Pentax.

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-10-2008 at 11:31 AM.