Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
how to protect gear from humidity???

i got some chemicals which decreases the humidity in the air. (you can find it easily, but i don't know how they are called in Eng.)
and machine which takes the moisture.
they become ineffective after i open the windows for five minutes. i don't want to hear machine (moisture) 's noise all the time.
does it make sense to you to put the gear in small area (like wardrobe) with chemicals???? (should the area be fully isolated or have air transfer with the room?)
how do you protect your gear from moisture??
i hope i am clear
many thanks
halil

07-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the problems with humidity you are indicating, but one solution would be to put the equipment in an air tight plastic bag with some silica packages to absorb any humidity inside the bag.

Silica packages are easy to find, in fact cameras and lenses usually have a small bag of them included. They are also reusable if they become too saturated, you just need to 'bake' them out in an oven.
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do what Tom S. does as well. I have heard that some people buy a cabinet and mount a light bulb fixture inside and leave it on all the time. The heat deals with the humidity and keeps the cabinet interior dry.
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I do what Tom S. does as well. I have heard that some people buy a cabinet and mount a light bulb fixture inside and leave it on all the time. The heat deals with the humidity and keeps the cabinet interior dry.
That is totally true, but not as dramatic as it sounds. The truth is that any termperature difference between your "storage place" and the "outside", will get rid of humidity. This temp difference may be as little as 2 or 3 degrees only, but that's enough to keep "the inside" free of moisture.

A small 5 watt bulb is more than enough for a medium sized drawer.

RB

07-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I just throw a few silica gel packs in my camera bag if I know I am going to be leaving it unused for a long period of time. That has only happened once though!
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I just throw a few silica gel packs in my camera bag if I know I am going to be leaving it unused for a long period of time. That has only happened once though!
Silica gel packets work fine if they are NEW and used as for packing new stuff (as manofacturers do), but unfortunately, silica absorbs moisture so fast, they get saturated in a few hours if left "sitting around" (in direct contact with fresh air).

I once purchased a few "indicator silica gel packets". They were nice since the crystals turned from light blue to light pink when saturated (no more moisture absorbing). To my surprise, the packets turned pink in matter of two or three days, if left with gear inside camera bag.

Good thing about silica is that it can be recycled. Yes, that is with a microwave oven. Just place all your silica packets inside microwave, and nuke them for 1 minute at a time. do not let micowave for longer times than 1 minute because packets will get so hot that will actually burn the paper like material.

A good way to keep silica packets is to store them inside ziplock bags just after coming out the microwave.

Hope this helps, but to be honest, I still think the little bulb in the drawer works a lot better.

RB