Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What settings on K3 for flash in daylight?

I will be shooting some pictures at a friend's wedding tomorrow (not as the official photographer) using my K3. It will be outside, and sunshine is expected. I would like to use some fill-in flash using my Metz 52 AF-1, either on the hot-shoe or at arms length actuated by the built-in flash. I also have a FlashBender Large Soft Box Kit, so can use either the large reflector attached to the flash, or the softbox.

The lenses I expect to use include the DA 16-85, DA 70 Limited, and Sigma 35 f1.4 Art.

My question is: which camera and flash settings should I use? The K3 manual recommends using P mode for fill in flash with P-TTL. Is that the best choice? The light will probably be good enough for me to set ISO100 throughout, but I am still concerned that the 1/180 maximum flash sync speed will force me to stop down more than I would like for DoF purposes. I could use an 8x ND filter on the DA70, but don't have one to fit the other lenses. I could also use HSS (supported on the Metz), but this reduces flash range, so it may not always be possible.

I do not have much experience with daytime flash, so any general shooting suggestions for this scenario gratefully received.

04-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my best recommendation: use the sun as a backlight. You can use a polarizer to "lose" 1.5 stops. If possible, shoot towards the early morning or later in the day which should get you another stop or two compared to mid-day. Get the soft box as close to your subject as possible -- perhaps using an assistant if you end up using longer lenses. The closer you are to the subject the more the background will go out of focus -- even if you are shooting f/8.

Michael
04-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My question is: which camera and flash settings should I use? The K3 manual recommends using P mode for fill in flash with P-TTL. Is that the best choice? The light will probably be good enough for me to set ISO100 throughout, but I am still concerned that the 1/180 maximum flash sync speed will force me to stop down more than I would like for DoF purposes. I could use an 8x ND filter on the DA70, but don't have one to fit the other lenses. I could also use HSS (supported on the Metz), but this reduces flash range, so it may not always be possible.

I'd gladly go with P mode and P-TTL for daytime outdoors fill flash work. And I'd also go with auto ISO but that's just me.
If it's sunny, aim for backlit shots with -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compensation. That will reduce both the ambient and the flash exposure.
Also consider using a 1/4 CTO gel on the flash to give people a nice tan.
If it's overcast, set -1 to -2 flash exposure compensation for just that slight touch of fill flash to brighten up the faces. Don't gel the flash.

On ND filters versus HSS, they rob you about equally of flash range. The only way to gain flash range shooting into the sun is with
faster sync speeds. Or more flash power of course.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Very useful tips. I'll give them a try. I think it's a particularly good idea to get my assistant (aka my wife) to get closer with the light box.

04-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Just use P-TTL and HSS as necessary, Paul. You'll be dealing with lots of sudden opportunities and that's what they're for.

Begin with a FEC of -1, and don't be afraid to go to -2 after chimping. In daylight shooting the sun is your main light, your flash is about lifting the shadows until you see detail again.
04-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would probably go manual on the body, with the shutter at or close to 1/180, and leave the flash in P-TTL to balance the shadows. It is a simple matter to tweak the shutter speed to adjust the ambient, while adjust your flash exposure compensation to get the desired amount of fill. The combination of M and P-TTL is easier than it sounds - it's kind of like shooting in a semi-manual (semi-automatic?) mode.

I'm not a manual exposure fanatic by any means, in fact I mostly shoot in P mode. But somehow the combination of a Pentax body and P-TTL just doesn't produce consistent results. The camera can't decide whether the ambient light or the flash is the key light.
04-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I would probably go manual on the body, with the shutter at or close to 1/180, and leave the flash in P-TTL to balance the shadows. It is a simple matter to tweak the shutter speed to adjust the ambient, while adjust your flash exposure compensation to get the desired amount of fill. The combination of M and P-TTL is easier than it sounds - it's kind of like shooting in a semi-manual (semi-automatic?) mode.

I'm not a manual exposure fanatic by any means, in fact I mostly shoot in P mode. But somehow the combination of a Pentax body and P-TTL just doesn't produce consistent results. The camera can't decide whether the ambient light or the flash is the key light.
Yes, I normally do use M mode with flash, in low light. I haven't tried it in daylight; it sounds more complicated. Thanks for the idea; I'll try it out.

04-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I should have explained that the P-TTL flash will tend to automatically compensate somewhat if your manual shutter/aperture combination is off a little bit (i.e., with some heavy shadows or just generally underexposed overall). This is why I think it is sometimes easier than shooting full manual without a flash. Give it a try! Good luck!
04-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, I normally do use M mode with flash, in low light. I haven't tried it in daylight; it sounds more complicated.
It isn't. Going M will keep you in charge. P-TTL will still have FEC applied to it.
04-23-2016, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This practical demo may be helpful....an indoor situation with the settings explained for controlling mixed lighting and colour balancing, all with similar Pentax gear. ....

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/indoor-events--mixed-lighting-techniques-55493