Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Are you thinking of a lens with a dedicated macro mode, photolady?
My Tamron is a dedicated macro lens. My explanation above is based on this lens; however, I treat all my macro shooting the same, even when using a Raynox DCR-150 or closeup filters. IMO, this works better for my situation, than using AF.

04-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My f100 macro and dfa 100 do not work this way. On those infinity is infinity.
04-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My Tamron is a dedicated macro lens. My explanation above is based on this lens; however, I treat all my macro shooting the same, even when using a Raynox DCR-150 or closeup filters. IMO, this works better for my situation, than using AF.
This might happen with some lenses using extension tubes or possibly macro filters, but unless your lens is defective it shouldn't do on its own.
Are you possibly basing this on the focus ring? I think Tamron ones may turn in the opposite direction to Pentax.
04-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
unless your lens is defective it shouldn't do on its own.
I don't understand why you all don't see what I'm trying to convey here. The lens doesn't do it on its own. I turn the focusing ring to the infinity mark. No tripod, and move in or out to attain focus. It works best for me this way.

04-09-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you all don't see what I'm trying to convey here. The lens doesn't do it on its own. I turn the focusing ring to the infinity mark. No tripod, and move in or out to attain focus. It works best for me this way.
Because infinity is *infinity*. Like, moon-distance infinity. To focus close, you either need to focus with the lens or add macro filters/tubes. A lens, on its own, should not be focused close when set to infinity.
04-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What you're saying doesn't make sense... when the focusing ring is set to infinity, only far away objects will be in focus. No moving the camera in our out will let you focus on a close up object (assuming there are no tubes/bellows or closeup filters involved).

Maybe a picture of your camera/lens set to focus on a close object might clarify what you're saying.

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Because infinity is *infinity*. Like, moon-distance infinity. To focus close, you either need to focus with the lens or add macro filters/tubes. A lens, on its own, should not be focused close when set to infinity.
Beaten by a minute...
04-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Maybe a picture of your camera/lens set to focus on a close object might clarify what you're saying.
+1

I know the 50-200 reverses the focus direction if mounted on an extension.

04-09-2016, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done a lot of macro using just about every method. Here are my suggestions.

1. IF you have a good quality single-focal length lens, the cheapest, highest quality entry to macro is the Raynox Macro Explorer two lens set (about $103). These achromatic close-up filters give better IQ that any others I've tried (= Nikon & Canon, of which I own several) and they are very easy to use.

2. Best bargain dedicated macro lenses: Pentax 50mm SMCA macro; 90mm Tamron macro (just about any version); Pentax 100mm SMCA f4 macro (generally much less expensive than the f2.8 version, but if you have the $, the f2.8 is easier to focus and may have better IQ).

I would not recommend extension tubes or bellows as a starting point for macro. AF is not necessary for macro, is not as reliable as manual focusing for macro, and in some situations AF simply will not work in the macro range (=when the subject-lens distance is short and you are using a shorter FL lens).
04-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think because that lens must have a dedicated macro ring? Which precise model lens do you have? Most of the dedicated macro lenses don't work that way. The dedicated Pentax Macro lenses for example all just turn the focus ring closer and closer and closer and the lens extends farther and farther and farther until you reach the magnification you want. You can still use a macro rail to do what you are talking about (moving in and out) once you reach your specific magnification - or you can just focus slightly adjusting the magnification. If any of these lenses are set to infinity you cannot do macro as they will be focusing on a nearby mountain not a flower or bee. However some zoom lenses that are called "macro" have a macro function that is engaged on the zoom ring or otherwise and in that case focusing at infinity does not focus on infinity it focuses quite close. These are not typically called dedicated macro lenses by most people - they typically don't fully do 1:1 or even 1:2 but more often more like 1:4.

There may well be dedicated single focal length macro's that have this setup - I have not seen one.
04-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think because that lens must have a dedicated macro ring?
Nope, no dedicated macro ring either. The one I have is just like the one I posted a link to on ebay.
04-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What you're saying doesn't make sense... when the focusing ring is set to infinity, only far away objects will be in focus. No moving the camera in our out will let you focus on a close up object (assuming there are no tubes/bellows or closeup filters involved).

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 03:42 PM ----------

Beaten by a minute...
Photolady is saying: If you want 1:1, there is only point at which a macro will shoot 1:1. She sets it there and moves closer or further from the subject to focus. Adjusting the focus and you aren't 1:1 anymore.
04-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

In macro photography, you usually put then lens at the infinity mark, if you use AF that moves the lens away from the infinity mark. For macro to work, you need the lens to stay at the infinity mark and move yourself and camera/lens in and out to get focus.
I think you mean the opposite end from the infinity mark, the minimum focus distance...

Is your lens extended like the second and third photo (not the first)?
04-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Photolady is saying: If you want 1:1, there is only point at which a macro will shoot 1:1. She sets it there and moves closer or further from the subject to focus. Adjusting the focus and you aren't 1:1 anymore.
I think that is what she means, but that won't be at infinity...
04-09-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Dang it! I have to take it all back. I'm not shooting macro this month and was looking a another lens when I stated the above incorrect information. I took my Tamron out and looked at it, moved the focus ring to the proper place and you're right, it's not on the infinity mark. I apologize to all of you. Sometimes you have to admit you're wrong and I admit, I was wrong.

Although I do have to say, someone on this forum told me to put the lens on infinity and that was a few years ago. And I don't remember who said that either.
04-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Dang it! I have to take it all back. I'm not shooting macro this month and was looking a another lens when I stated the above incorrect information. I took my Tamron out and looked at it, moved the focus ring to the proper place and you're right, it's not on the infinity mark. I apologize to all of you. Sometimes you have to admit you're wrong and I admit, I was wrong.
No problem

We are all allowed to make mistakes.