Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Can't think of a good reason to take one up an indoor wall
I can think of many reasons not to. It is distracting for climber and belayer and poses a drop hazard to people climbing nearby. People need to take the risks of indoor climbing much more seriously. It is inherently dangerous and it is only safe if everyone is concentrating on climbing and belaying - and nothing else.

I would suggest shooting friends doing boulder problems so you have both feet on the ground and the camera can't fall very far. You will get much more compelling photos from bouldering.

Also be very careful outdoors with shooting while you are on a rope and on steep territory. Guys like Jimmy Chin and Simon Carter are very, very experienced climbers and they don't cut corners.

04-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think @Outis means he/she has done lots of indoor climbing and is going 'real' rock climbing and would like to take the K-3 along.
No-- the climbing gym is hosting a light show on the walls one evening, and I'd like to photograph that. Even in regular light, though, it is a really nice space.

And as for the safety issues, I don't think it'll be a huge problem. The only climbs I'm planning on doing with the camera are easy ones I've done over and over again, so no crazy moves, and I plan on running any setup I come up with by the staff first to make sure they think it's OK.

Last edited by Outis; 04-21-2016 at 06:50 PM.
04-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
No-- the climbing gym is hosting a light show on the walls one evening, and I'd like to photograph that. Even in regular light, though, it is a really nice space.

And as for the safety issues, I don't think it'll be a huge problem. The only climbs I'm planning on doing with the camera are easy ones I've done over and over again, so no crazy moves, and I plan on running any setup I come up with by the staff first to make sure they think it's OK.
OK with you now. You basically want your camera clipped to some kind of chest harness so it can't go anywhere - there will be a few inches of play to lift the camera from your chest to your eye and that's it. The staff might be able to help you with that.
04-21-2016, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #19

I climb, ski, run & do just about every type of outdoor activity with my Pentax gear. My first day out shooting my new K5 3 years ago was on a multi pitch technical rock climb. I use a ThinkTank Digital Holster 10 & put the strap around my neck and then securely clip the holster to my harness, so any holster similar to this one should work well. Personally I like to keep the holster on my side during activity and not my chest. Then I use climbing webbing instead of a standard camera strap so I can easily clip the strap before I pull it out of the holster to shoot. The key is to make sure you are secured, like when belaying, before you start shooting and being very careful not to drop anything on your partner or people below you while shooting.

Sounds like the light show should be a good opportunity to shoot some climbing. Hope you have fun and get some good action photos.

04-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

have squirrel carry it to the top and await yer arrival.....
04-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I teach a college rock climbing class and I have taken my K-5 up on the wall to photograph my students now and then. AS long as it is an easy climb and you have the camera tethered in some way so you cannot drop it, you will be fine. I have also carried it on outdoor climbs a few times. A fancy holster will help, but any climber can rig a sling to keep a dslr secure.
04-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I looked at that bgrip, but I'd be really really leery of a quick release attachment.
There is also a lock, to prevent the quick release from being activated, allowing the camera to come loose. The only way the camera would come out is if it was physically ripped out. The quick release bracket is firmly attached to the tripod socket of the camera.

Just thought I'd mention this product, as I looked at many other options, and wasn't pleased with them attaching with a swivel ball, allowing the camera to move. YMMV. I'm in no way associated with this product, other that buying & using it.

04-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second the previously mentioned Capture Clip from Peak Design. I don't rock climb but I do hike a bit. What I would suggest would be to have a sling strap cross body and the Capture Clip maybe attached to a belt around on your back. That way it is secured and out of the way but can be easily released. The strap adds a second layer of drop protection. Just a thought.