Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Taking my K-3 rock climbing

I do a lot of indoor rock climbing, and I was thinking of carrying my K-3 with me on some climbs so that I could take pictures from the top. What's the best way to secure my camera during the climb so that it doesn't swing around and whack into something?

04-21-2016, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can't think of a good reason to take one up an indoor wall
04-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Seconded. I'd be surprised and even slightly worried if the staff allowed you to take non-essential gear up the wall.
04-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think @Outis means he/she has done lots of indoor climbing and is going 'real' rock climbing and would like to take the K-3 along.

04-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think @Outis means he/she has done lots of indoor climbing and is going 'real' rock climbing and would like to take the K-3 along.
Carrying a K3 and lens up rock faces it not really a good idea unless it's a pretty straightforward climb without any 'severe' moves.
04-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

An idea is maybe a hard sided holster case with a strap that holds it tight on your body.

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Carrying a K3 and lens up rock faces it not really a good idea unless it's a pretty straightforward climb without any 'severe' moves.
That was just my impressions...
04-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually carry the k-3 on a sling strap but any time I have to scramble (I don't 'climb') I put it in the bag. Having the camera swing about and bang on something or even worse catch and cause me to fall is just not worth the risk.

So to answer the question: if I were going to climb, indoor or out, the camera would be safely tucked in a waist bag or back pack.

04-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've done some fairly minor climbing with mine just to climb a peak but not a rock climbing trip per se.
A sling strap you can lock into place would be good if it doesn't interfere with your harness.
I usually do that for peak bagging or when I climb I often have ski gear with me so I have more pockets and places in my pack if I need to get it out of the way when I need to.

If you are talking about an indoor gym, I could imagine you might get some cool shots from the top of another climber or of the facility. You could just sling it and take the easy line if you are just looking to get to a spot to shoot from.
04-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay, well if we assume Outis is indeed asking about outdoor climbing then I'd suggest she use as small a backpack as possible. You don't want the camera to get tangled in gear, or to hit something and risk debris falling on someone below. Even then, it'll bring your centre of balance away from the face and make the climb more difficult than it should be.

You'd surely be better off securely stashing a compact camera instead. Something like the GR would store easily and still give you great pictures from the top.

Ignore my ignorant bull.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-21-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Expletive removed.
04-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Have you climbed with a backpack before? Some photography backpacks come with the side flaps that can be easier to access while you're strapped in somewhere. I would secure the camera to the bag via the tripod mount/cable attachment and then leave it inside the bag until I need it.
04-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a fan of this product. On hikes, I carry my K3 with my Pentax 55-300 lens, and it holds it stable, no swinging around, and the lens is held away from your leg. You hardly know it's there. There's also an accessory rain cover for camera & lens while attached to this.

You can swing this around so that the camera is on your back, rather than side. This way it's completely out of your way for climbing.

04-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Here is some inspiration from some of my adventure photo heroes.
How Pro Photographers Pack for Summer Adventures | Outside Online

Looks like Jimmy Chin climbs with a pack when shooting.
04-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I stand firmly corrected!
04-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I usually carry the k-3 on a sling strap but any time I have to scramble (I don't 'climb') I put it in the bag. Having the camera swing about and bang on something or even worse catch and cause me to fall is just not worth the risk.
Have you heard of the Capture Clip by Peak Design? Have used it for a couple of months now on hikes with some scrambles, and attached to the backpack strap it works perfectly. I have never tried it while rock climbing, but I assume you could easily attach it to the back of your belt and it would be secure and out of harms way.

Funny enough I just posted a review of it on my blog today - nice coincidence with this thread

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 04-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.
04-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at that bgrip, but I'd be really really leery of a quick release attachment. You may only be toproping, but even a big pendulum might rip a camera right out of that. Yikes. But maybe I misunderstood.

I'd say put it in a pack or belt holster, like the Lowe Pro S&F type stuff. Not only is the camera vulnerable when swinging off a neck or shoulder strap, but there's also the likelihood the strap will get in the way. Maybe you're only using gear stored on your harness, but as soon as you use some slings or daisy chains or maybe other stuff over the shoulder a camera strap is not what you want. Besides, I'd hate to be the guy belaying his second from a Pentax sling....

I say wrap it in the jacket you'd take out of the pack at the belay stance.