Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
One of the great things about hummingbirds is that they do get used to you.
Only posting this shot from the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary I took in 2008 as an example of how hummingbirds certainly do get used to humans.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
06-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With so many feeders and flowers, even though they are quite brave, you may find they just go to the ones you aren't near.

I'd be tempted to remove all the nearby hanging baskets and feeders but one, then camp out near it. Pick one that has a nice background, maybe that tree with the red foliage behind the BBQ (make some test shots before doing any of the work!). Even better, you could remove this feeder as well but hang a branch of one of those hanging baskets with the long trumpet shaped flower. By limiting their food supply, you'll control where they go and you can wait nearby ready with the camera.

Replace everything when you're done. It might be best to do this when the wife is away as some people might consider temporarily removing the hummingbirds food to control them as mean, but frankly the little freeloaders owe you a bit of cooperative modelling time in front of the camera.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Would it be better to have her maybe add some plants with foliage ABOVE the hangling baskets, so that they were hidden from view from above (we have various predators around here, like owls, and lately, sometimes, turkey buzzards and maybe hawks?)?
Generally, no. Most feeder birds like to have a wide view when they're eating so they can spot danger during these vulnerable moments. They do like bushes around the yard where they can hide in and wait for the coast to be clear before heading out to the feeder (you seem to have ample nearby cover).
06-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More evidence that they can get used to humans. I shot this video with a DA15 on a K-01. The wide-angle lens makes it seems like I was further away than I actually was, Warning contains graphic hummingbird on hummingbird violence:

06-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
More evidence that they can get used to humans. I shot this video with a DA15 on a K-01. The wide-angle lens makes it seems like I was further away than I actually was, Warning contains graphic hummingbird on hummingbird violence:

That is a good video you got, and I envy you for how many hummers you have but you should seriously consider relocating one of your feeders out of sight from the other. See my earlier post in this thread. You have a war zone here and more than we can see, these tiny birds can really hurt each other when the conflicts begin. My son, when he was little, did not refer to them as "little green monsters" for nothing. There is a benefit for you if you move one of the feeders, you get two different locations where you can see them and photograph them under different lighting conditions.

06-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
That is a good video you got, and I envy you for how many hummers you have but you should seriously consider relocating one of your feeders out of sight from the other. See my earlier post in this thread. You have a war zone here and more than we can see, these tiny birds can really hurt each other when the conflicts begin. My son, when he was little, did not refer to them as "little green monsters" for nothing. There is a benefit for you if you move one of the feeders, you get two different locations where you can see them and photograph them under different lighting conditions.
There are about 10 feeders around the house on three sides.
06-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

We put up a feeder on the porch of our cabin. One hummer has found a branch where he can guard both feeders. He just sits up there and waits of the other hummers to come so he can chase them off.

The hummers and I have established a working some of about 6-8 feet. The rules are, I set up my tripod. I stand very still. (Extremely difficult for me, I'm a twitcher.) My head is to the camera. And any movements I make are very slow. My hand is already on the shutter release before they arrive, I only have to slowly move my head into position. Point the camera and shoot. Any movement for better light angles or whatever are made while they are not present at the feeder.

We get along just fine,

I use audiobomober's BiF settings for hummers

TaV, 1/2000s, ƒ8,
AF-C, Focus priority, select all 27 points.

Last edited by normhead; 06-06-2016 at 07:45 AM.