View Poll Results: auto or manual
I shoot autofocus 4133.06%
I shoot manual 1612.90%
both 6754.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I use mostly AF but I have only one central sensor selected and most of the time, I will use that to select what to focus on and then recompose. For very tricky shots I use MF.

07-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the hints everyone, I am sure at some point if i take enough pictures I will overcome the weird factor. Will just have to keep taking some and if any are any good i may post one sometime
07-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
thanks for the hints everyone, I am sure at some point if i take enough pictures I will overcome the weird factor. Will just have to keep taking some and if any are any good i may post one sometime
Do not underestimate the power of asking if you can take a picture. Or show the people you take pictures of the picture and even ask if they want a copy mailed for free.

You will meet alot of people and most will be intrested and might even posé a bit.

And _ALWAYS_ respect if people show that they do not want to be photographed. And _always_ respect people that are in an akward position, you would not like to be posted on internet when you accidently peed your pants in the subway. .
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
Forum Member

Both. Depends on the subject and surroundings

Oh my god!!! cant type anymore

07-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

There is a photographer who uses a flash and does street photography. He basically goes up into the people's faces and he fires the flash and takes a picture. Of course this takes some major balls and it produces very interesting expressions on the people's faces.

I can't think of the guys name though ... He's from ny. Does this ring any bells for anyone?
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
There is a photographer who uses a flash and does street photography. He basically goes up into the people's faces and he fires the flash and takes a picture. Of course this takes some major balls and it produces very interesting expressions on the people's faces.

I can't think of the guys name though ... He's from ny. Does this ring any bells for anyone?
He's a Magnum photog. Saw a video of him, but my opinion of this method is so low that I didn't bother recalling his name.
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Yeah, I saw that video, too.

He was one big walking cliché. Leica - check. 35mm Summicron, because that's what Eisenstadt used, dammit - check. In-you-face-edgy photographic "technique" - check.

From and works in NYC, thinks NYC is the centre of the universe and the only place on the planet where interesting stuff happens, the biggest cliché of all - get the big red pen out, people, and scribe a big double tick on the list! Write "Oh yeah, baby!!!" next to it and underline, then add "I'm from Brooklyn, motherf***ker!"

The guy's name is Bruce Gilden, but that video has been taken down, and I couldn't be bothered finding a non-YouTube version.

07-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

One day he will meet mr.Wrong and die a painful death.
07-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #24
Banned

bruce gilden is an ass pure and simple. im surprised hes never been beaten up for his rude behavior. I give him credit for being that brave and its certainly different but hes still an ass. I don't think his work is all that creative, how many 'I shoved my flash in your face, haha!' photographs can he possibly expect to do? sad thing is his work will probably be revered in the not to distant future. and yes I agree he is a walking cliché, leica and all.
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
Inactive Account

That's the thing, séamuis - he's in New York! A city as tough as it is artistic, supposedly. That's what makes it so daring and therefore valuable, ostensibly. At the end of the day, he's pissing people off. Not a whole lot else going on in there. I'm not saying you shouldn't photograph people on the streets, but have some respect. You're gonna get a million shots of people scowling, anyway.

The funny thing is, I bet he considers himself better than the paparazzi.

It seems like a very...lomographic style of shooting. (I'm no fan of the Lomo Society, either.) Do this, and you automatically get great photos. There you go. Move to the front of the line! Why? Because there's no real thought to the shots, just a (simple) technique.
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm mildly amused and confused by him. I'm from a little town, and I hardly ever take my camera out in public. When I do, I normally get the evil looks ... so I just find it interesting that he's so brave. I don't know how he hasn't ran into the wrong person yet.
07-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
I just find it interesting that he's so brave. I don't know how he hasn't ran into the wrong person yet.
If you saw the video you would see he is not brave, just a bully. When people complain he just shouts them down. Basically he's the sensitive New Yorker type.
07-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #28

Bruce has been a well known photographer for a long, long time, and this is just one of many themes that he has pursued. I've seen a lot of criticism of this particular style of his recently, but it's really just something different that he's doing to keep his creative juices flowing. Many artists feel you need to get out of your comfort zone every now and again to challenge yourself.

As the famous photographer William Klein said about his own similar style back in the early 1950's - "The way the subject reacts to the camera can create a kind of happening. Why pretend the camera isn't there?... Maybe people will reveal themselves as violent or tender, crazed or beautiful. But in some way, they reveal who they are. They'll have taken a self-portrait."

So he is just playing with an already well established photographic tradition. You may not care for the results, but at least respect the man for trying an unusual approach to photography.
07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteQuote:
So he is just playing with an already well established photographic tradition. You may not care for the results, but at least respect the man for trying an unusual approach to photography.
I can respect that, but I don't respect him. I think he is egotistical and I don't like the results of this 'style'... it tends to yield the same look from everyone as opposed to what he might get from not 'flashing' them in the face.
07-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #30

i shoot a lot with auto focus .... but thats because it can be such a PITA to shoot with the manual.

So i wont lose it I keep the lens hood on most of the time so half the time its reversed and covers the focus ring. and second i really only have the "kit" lens and the focus ring on it is almost non existent. I would prefer to be manual most of the time but those two pushed me to auto focus more often.

I just found my lens hood after six months after i put it "somewhere it wouldn't get misplaced"