Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K mount Teleconverter turned into extension tube?

Hello all,

I've been pondering doing some Macro photography, and as I do not currently have any Macro lenses I've been doing some reading on the topic.

I have an old K mount manual teleconverter, Image house brand from Blacks Photo in Canada, going way back into the 80's. I had used it on my SMC-M 200mm F4 back in the day, and can't say I was ever very happy with the image quality. Looking at reviews here on the site and other info I can find it seems to have come out of the same factory for other lenses labelled Albinar and Optex.

I am thinking of just pulling the lenses out of the unit and using it as an extension tube on one of my 50's.

Is this worth the experiment as I already have the unit? I'd be curious to hear from others who have tried the same thing.

A few quick and dirty snaps of the TC below...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WPi  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WPi  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WPi  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WPi  Photo 
05-21-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried doing "macro" work with the teleconverter just as it is? It should double the magnification of the lens you use it on -- without shortening the working distance of the main lens at its closest focus distance. The rap against teleconverters is that they potentially have substandard optics and lessen the quality of the image possible....but they aren't all necessarily bad. It's better to check out how good that one is, before taking it apart. Incidentally, at least one company didn't call them "teleconverters"; instead, they called theirs "tele-extenders."

On a standard 50mm lens, I believe it takes 50mm of extension to get 1:1 magnification on the full frame (film or film-sized sensor). No substandard optics could possibly be introduced with lensless extenders, but you will have much reduced working distance. A set of manual K-mount extension tubes are pretty cheap on the auction site, so I'd recommend not butchering your teleconverter, unless you verify it is a baddy (in which case I'd say go ahead and butcher away!). If it's good to great, it is a handy thing to have along if you need to make something more telephoto, as well as making anything your lens can focus on BIGGER.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 05-21-2016 at 08:25 PM.
05-21-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have made this modification to two different TCs. This is about the only way to get an extension tube with contacts for Pentax. But of course the ones I used had contacts which it appears yours does not.

If you are not using the TC for anything there is no reason not to experiment but remember with no contacts the lens you use on the front must have an aperture ring.
05-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lack of contacts was one reason I was thinking of dedicating it to fixed use indoors on my K100D as I recently picked up a used K200D. I'm unlikely to use the TC outdoors as I rarely do any photography outside on a tripod and I'm thinking I would find the gymnastics of metering with this guy annoying versus any potential benefit in reach I might get shooting handheld.

With a lens mounted using the TC on my K100 it won't bring up the lens length setting or allow SR, and on the K200 it will recognize the lens length setting but then only gives the 4000 F-- flashing when trying to meter.

I think it might be best to start by doing some quality comparisons with and without this guy before deciding how to proceed.

05-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with either of those cameras but on mine there is a setting in the menu, something like "Allow aperture ring". This has to be turned on if you are using manual lenses and of course you have to set the aperture on the lens, not the camera.

This might help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Sorry if you already knew this.
05-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've used my old glass on both bodies successfully, it's just the converter that borks the communication between the body and lens.
05-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

To be honest, why are you even bothering to do this?

You can buy a very cheap generic set of K-mount extension tubes for just a few quid on eBay. They're unlikely to have 'A' contacts, but then your teleconverter doesn't either. You can purchase the Kooka 25mm extension tube with AF and A contacts brand new if you really want (I have one, I'd only recommend it for DA lenses with quick shift to be honest - the additional gearing when trying to manually focus an AF lens is a little disturbing!)

05-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The advantage over cheap extension tubes is that it is auto and can focus wide open and will stop down when you shoot. I don't know your cameras but there should be some kind of 'green button' method to set exposure in manual mode or av mode. There's not much to be gained from contacts. The camera won't know the real lens focal length so SR won't work. I've got two empty teleconverters that I can use in series.
05-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
The advantage over cheap extension tubes is that it is auto and can focus wide open and will stop down when you shoot. I don't know your cameras but there should be some kind of 'green button' method to set exposure in manual mode or av mode. There's not much to be gained from contacts. The camera won't know the real lens focal length so SR won't work. I've got two empty teleconverters that I can use in series.
But the teleconverter in question has no 'A' contacts, so it will be fully manual anyway.
05-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try to keep the "Why would you want to do this?" answer as short as possible. Sometimes when asking for information on web forums it's hard to know for sure how much detail to give before readers eyes glaze over.

Thanks for the eBay suggestion. I see there are many extension tube sets available for very cheap from China.

But, from the few ads I have looked at so far, the really cheap ones are also manual units. There is currently a set of Pentax tubes advertised from Denmark, that would be ~40.00 CDN with shipping before any taxes or duty. One set of tubes I saw locally for 75.00 CDN was sold before I moved on it.

I originally tossed out the question of modifying the converter as it would allow me to use a piece of gear I already have. I'd happened to see a mention of this somewhere in a post or web page about macro photography, perhaps on the site here.

I have been keeping my eyes open for lens or extension tube possibilities locally that I could actually hold in my hands to see what I was getting before purchasing,

My primary purpose for looking into Macro photography is to take as high quality image as possible of objects from my family history that can't really go on a scanner. Example, a small black and white photograph of one ancestor where we only have two known pictures, and one of the pictures is inside a rounded broach where it does not appear I can remove the photograph to scan without damaging the jewelry.

I've experimented a little bit with the macro setting on my Optio Wpi using a copy stand. This works ok for things like album covers that I don't want to stitch together and don't need to be really sharp.

I'd be fine futzing around with manual focus in controlled conditions if it helps me get a good result in the end.

I am aware of what is required to use a manual lens on the K100D. I've experimented with it a bit over the last year, and I've also spent some time using my manual lenses on my K200D since I acquired it back in April.

For the purpose described, and given the following list of functional gear I already have, does experimenting with the teleconverter offer any benefit?

If not, I will likely just leave it alone and send it on its way as part of a film bundle with either a ME or ME Super I hope to sell.

Equipment I currently have,

K100D and K200D bodies
DA 18-55
DA 50-200
SMC-M 28 F2.8
SMC-M 50 F1.7
SMC-M 50 F2.0
SMC-M 200 F4
SMC-A 135 F2.8
Flashes, tripods, copy stand
Remote Control F
05-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
For the purpose described, and given the following list of functional gear I already have, does experimenting with the teleconverter offer any benefit?
Considering your gear list I would say yes. We often see a similar question and the poster has nothing but modern lenses with no aperture ring. Which makes this difficult or impossible for them. You on the other hand are good to go, and already understand the process. You could buy a set of tubes. Or even buy a 100mm macro lens. But for your purpose, and not expending any cash, this should work just fine.
05-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the discussion and information everyone.

I will start by doing some testing of manual focusing with the converter in the mix before I pull it apart.

Report back somewhere down the road.
05-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got 2 or 3 cheap ones I removed the glass from and they work great as extension tubes. I use them with a 50-M 1.7, sometimes back to back, and also use them with the 50-M f4 Macro. You just have to use them as you would a manual lens, no problem. And you can still use catch-in-focus with, which is great for macro work. If you want a full set of extension tubes you can sometimes find the Vivitar AT-22 set on ebay for under 50 bucks.

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 07:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
But the teleconverter in question has no 'A' contacts, so it will be fully manual anyway.

You don't need A contacts. Just use them on manual. The advantage over the cheap tubes is they have the aperture link which lets you focus wide open and they will still stop down when the shutter fires. Cheap tubes don't.
05-26-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
every time i see a teleconverter (with contacts) on ebay for less than $15, i buy it and take the glass out... starting to get ridiculous. when you add that many together, you need to add a light baffle... which i learned yesterday.
05-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
every time i see a teleconverter (with contacts) on ebay for less than $15, i buy it and take the glass out... starting to get ridiculous. when you add that many together, you need to add a light baffle... which i learned yesterday.
Oops -- you missed the one I got last year! I'll leave the glass in unless I become unhappy with it as a doubler.