Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Even if you can afford, or even already have, a dedicated macro lens, a close-up filter is something that can be tucked away in a pocket of a camera bag and forgotten until a macro opportunity presents itself.

When hiking on vacation, I often leave the macro lens behind. A good quality close up lens can do surprisingly good work - and on a telephoto zoom, can be excellent for keeping distance from butterflies, etc.

Among the very best close up lenses were those made by Nikon in years past, although other companies have made two element doublet close up lenses from time to time. The Nikon 3T and 4T were in 52mm. The 4T was the stronger of the two. The "T" supposedly meant they were intended for tele lenses, but they work just as well on short lenses. The 5T and 6T were the same thing, but in 62mm.

One of those on the 18-135mm might be ideal, and the image quality is noticeably better than with single element lenses like the Hoyas. Unfortunately, prices on used 5T and 6T attachments is high. They often go for more than what they cost new 15 years ago. And the only real reason for parting with one is that 62mm isn't the popular size it used to be.

However, I know one fellow who recommended using a 6T with a 77-62mm step down ring on a 80-200mm 2.8 Nikon zoom. He said it worked without the vignetting you'd expect. I tried it. He was right.

05-31-2016, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon - yes them! - has a very good two-page discussion that I often refer to on close-up lenses and such lenses vs. extension tubes:

Close-up lenses - Canon Professional Network

In particular, you should note 1) the difference between two- and one element lenses as well quality- as price wise and 2) that close-up lenses are best for the longer focal lengths (such as the DA 18-135 at 135mm) while extension tubes are better for the shorter focal lengths and no good for long focal lengths.

On page 2 (link above) you also find a table on max. reproduction ratios with a +4D or a +2D close-up lens on lenses of various focal lenghts. For a 135mm lens you may expect a 'magnification' of some 0.5X with a +4D lens and some 0.3X with a +2D lens.

Hoya does make two-element achromatic close-up lenses. They are not dirt cheap but should serve your purpose well, or so I believe.
05-31-2016, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Had pretty good results with a decent Hoya No 1 (i.e. +1 dioptre) close-up LENS (it's NOT a "filter" for goodness sake!) with the 18-135 on my K-30 for technical stuff at work, albeit handheld. Would not suggest anything much stronger in dioptre value unless you use a tripod or other support because the depth of field is very, very limited.
05-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all for your answers. From your advices, I think I would choose the 18-135 lens setup which might be more appropriate (I almost always have it when I travel light, which is when you might want a close-up LENS as Ontarian50 mention). I just need to figure out if Hoya is good enough (because it is really quite cheap, which is good) or if other, more expensive brands are really worth the extra cost. But I do have good experience with Hoya in general.

06-01-2016, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I big "thank you" to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

To sum up all the advice so far, it seems that these close-up lenses are best suited to people who want an inexpensive way to get macro images without carrying a dedicated macro lens around.
It seems they work best on longer focal length lenses and the smallest aperture settings possible. Use flash if there is not enough light.
Always use manual focus and move the camera towards or away from the subject for the sharpest image. Don't rely on autofocus.

Putting extra glass in front of your lens does reduce the IQ of the image but this is somewhat offset by increased magnification of detail in the image.
Two-element achromatic close up lenses are best but are more expensive. Single element close up lenses may show chromatic aberration - fixable in PP.
There is less of a reduction in IQ when one lens is used rather than a stack to give the same magnification, so its preferable to use one +7 dioptre lens rather than a +4 and +2 and +1.
From the several makes of close up lenses available select the best quality you can get. People who replied on this thread seem to have had adequate to good results from Hoya close up lenses.
Like most things, your mileage may vary. Its worth spending a little time experimenting to see how to get the best results from your lens with combinations of close up lenses and lighting.

Overall these close up lenses are the least expensive way to get a macro image, and are by far the easiest to store in a pocket of your camera bag and carry around, but they are not necessarily the best way.
If you are seriously into macro photography you should investigate the benefits of alternatives - proper macro lenses, extension tubes and even lens reversing adaptors.

Personally I am very encouraged by the comments made here and I will be buying a set of these lenses to try. Hopefully they will deliver some results worthy of showing in this thread.
Thanks everyone.

Tony
06-01-2016, 04:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

A very good summary IMO. I would add that at web resolutions even a stack of filters should stand up well.