Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Technical question about sensor density x resolution

I'll keep it short and direct.

Assuming a DSLR APS-C 10MP 4MP/cm².

I believe when you reduce the output format to 5MP, the camera still uses the complete sensor @ 4MP/cm² and then resize to the desirable 5MP.

Why note reduce the density to 2MP/cm² (i suspect it is not linear math because of the area squared, but let's keep this way to simplify numbers) over the full sensor area and get the desirable 5MP output?

Wouldnt the quality be better if you reduced the density? How does that work?

07-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To alter the density, you would have to physically rearrange the photosites on the sensor. Besides, a lower pixel density by itself is not a garantee of better image quality.
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
should I patent the idea or not?

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, density, output, photography, sensor