Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone think this is a good idea?

NEWS! - Sandisk ships write-once SD cards

WORM SD cards, courtesy of SanDisk's bright idea factory.
(write once, read many)

07-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm not that technical but it does seem like this could be an idea that would catch on because people love having to spend money on new equipment.
I think you would need:
A device that would write to these archive cards.
Then you would need:
Something to store them in. This could feed a whole new industry, Gucci, Prada, all the electronic companies, car shapes, camera shapes, limited editions.
Then you would probably need a way of remembering where you put these little boxes that have all your precious megapixels.
Like I said, I'm not that technical and this is just how I'm reading it.
Gary
07-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems pretty useless to me.
07-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm not that technical but it does seem like this could be an idea that would catch on because people love having to spend money on new equipment.
I think you would need:
A device that would write to these archive cards.
Then you would need:
Something to store them in. This could feed a whole new industry, Gucci, Prada, all the electronic companies, car shapes, camera shapes, limited editions.
Then you would probably need a way of remembering where you put these little boxes that have all your precious megapixels.
Like I said, I'm not that technical and this is just how I'm reading it.
Gary
Who says you can't do the same with rewritable SD cards?

For these WORM SD cards to work, they'll have to be incredibly cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Seems pretty useless to me.
I tend to agree, though it might catch on. I mean... look at breakdancing.

07-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The problem would be that the SD often malfunction especially sandisc brand.

Some of my official sandisc cards die out after 1 year or two. Not so reliable after all.

I preferred kingston brand.
07-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The problem would be that the SD often malfunction especially sandisc brand.

Some of my official sandisc cards die out after 1 year or two. Not so reliable after all.

I preferred kingston brand.

I've owned several of the "cheaper" brands for some time, and they've proven to be unexpectedly reliable. 4 years and still going strong!
07-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

WORM will probably be used more for cases where there must be no evidence of image manipulation. ie Crime scene photos.

07-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Banned

was this intended to be a way to capture the feeling of using film or was it just supposed to be way to have something other than digital only archiving?
07-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
... was it just supposed to be way to have something other than digital only archiving?
According to the link, the purpose is that and much more...

>>>Digital data written to SanDisk SD WORM cards is effectively locked as soon as it is recorded; there is no physical way to alter or delete individual recorded files. Yet viewing the data is simple, because the cards are readable in any standard SD slot attached to a computer or other SD-compatible device.

SanDisk SD WORM cards also offer 100-year archive life1, when kept under appropriate storage conditions.

Applications for the SanDisk SD WORM card include:

* Police photography and witness/suspect interviews, where courts require proof that photos and audio recordings are genuine.
* Court proceedings, such as trials and depositions.
* Electronic voting, where recorded votes must be tamper-proof.
* Cash registers which record transactions for tax collection purposes.
* Event recorders, such as security cameras and “black box” flight-data recorders.
* Medical devices which retain individual patient treatment data.
* Personal digital assistants (PDAs) and similar devices used by physicians and other health-care professionals to track patient interactions.

<<<

It sounds like a good idea to me, but not necessarily for my use.
07-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
NEWS! - Sandisk ships write-once SD cards

WORM SD cards, courtesy of SanDisk's bright idea factory.
(write once, read many)
Well,

For my Step-Daughter, who has my old K100D, this type of card would work fine.

She thinks that it's safer to store files on the SD card than on her computer. (I know, it's not. But, I've learned to never argue with a teen-ager.) Everytime she fills an SD card, she buys a new one.

So, a cheap "write only" card would be just the ticket for her.

Ed
07-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Depending on their market price, in addition to the applications that Roger shared I can see these being used at places like amusement parks and other "carnival" type situations where you pay $5 for your ugly screaming mug as you go down the big hill on the rollercoaster, etc. Also for your Walmart/Sears photo "studios" and OneHour film processors as an alternative to CDROM. It could also be a more accessible solution for (semi)permanent storage of iTunes/MP3.
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

CD/DVD-Rs have a pretty good market going
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
CD/DVD-Rs have a pretty good market going
Yes, but these are less delicate than optical media. Much easier to mail. Much less expensive to build a reader into a TV or other device. Much easier to engineer into an existing product as well due to the small form factor.

I can think of more things that it would work well in.

Basically anythign you need an unalterable record of could use something like this. Especially if they are properly serialized.

I could think up some neat things you could do with a "changes only" type of document update where you could recover the entire history of a document and have a permnent record of changes.

Or heck, reinvent those make your own cassette/CD kiosks that have come and gone yet one more time.

I don't think it is intended as a direct to consumer product though, and probably not or your average photographer either. Although, if they are cheaper than regular SD cards, I could see wedding photographers using them as the master data and treatig them like film/negatives to simplify archiving and backups.