Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Timelapse - how to??

I wasn't sure if this question maybe belonged in the help for beginners forum, or if it's more appropriate here. I'm kind of thinking timelapse photography and video making is more of an advanced technique so I'm posting here.

Basically, I want to learn how to do it, and since I'm a Pentax user, I'm posting here. Are there any good tutorials out there that can be recommended? Do I need any special gear or equipment other than my camera and tripod?

Cheers

06-18-2016, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Time Lapse Guide for Beginners Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sweet - thanks for that! It's a lot more involved and complicated than what I had first imagined, but at least the resource is there now if I ever decide to try it. Is there a tutorial anywhere on this site about doing panorama photography? It's something else I'd love to dabble with.
07-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
For some unique twists on time lapse photography, take a look at TriggerTrap

For panorama photography, I recommend a wide angle lens and pick up Adobe Photoshop Elements to automate stitching photos together. Use a manual white balance because the color can shift between overlapping frames. And of course use the same lens at the same focal length. A tripod and a bubble level are best, but you can simply twist your body without relocating your feet if you can keep your camera level and have some latitude to crop. Make sure you include sufficient overlap between frames that the software can find good matching stitching points.

07-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I do some very simple time lapses of star trails & sunsets......usually 120 pics using the onboard intervalometer......I would make a simple 1 sec per pic slideshow then speed it up like 10x faster and like how they turn out most of the time
07-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Bramping with TriggerTrap?

Related to JimJohnson's comment.. I'm looking into buying a Triggertrap kit for an upcoming night-sky photography outing in August. I was thinking of shooting a sunrise, I see it can do bulb ramping but I'm not sure how to go about ramping the shutter-speed based on light available. Have you done this before with it? I saw some talk about Magic Lantern but it doesn't look available for Pentax, or at least k-50.
Aaron, how do you go about doing sunsets without crazy exposure flicker?
07-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by erock77 Quote
I may experience some flicker but I do not really notice it much or to me it is not crazy.......I use Av mode & generally have more of the sky in frame as that is what I am really exposing for......the foreground generally suffers pretty bad from that.........also my time lapse usually covers 30 to 40 minutes in duration (approx. 5 to 15 minutes before expected setting time) so it does not get really dark on me (I do not think Av mode would extend through twilight into night).......I have never tried a sunrise but I would expect similar results......I have considered bulb ramping but I don't care to invest on getting it....the on board intervalometer is good enough for me
07-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erock77 Quote
Related to JimJohnson's comment.. I'm looking into buying a Triggertrap kit for an upcoming night-sky photography outing in August. I was thinking of shooting a sunrise, I see it can do bulb ramping but I'm not sure how to go about ramping the shutter-speed based on light available. Have you done this before with it? I saw some talk about Magic Lantern but it doesn't look available for Pentax, or at least k-50.
Bramping on the TriggerTrap allows you to set an interval, total time, and a start and end shutter speed. If you know the settings you want at the beginning and end this should give a fairly smooth transition since it controls the bulb exposure. If you don't know the right start or end shutter speed you may end up with a gradual exposure increase or decrease over the set, but it should still be smooth. Bramping is also a simple linear adjustment so it might not work well for very long sets. For example, a 12-hr set wouldn't work since available light between midnight and noon is not a linear transition. (See this image from this blog post. Some other interesting info on light and photography in his blog post as well.)

A much simpler alternative is to use Av mode and let your camera control the shutter like Aaron does. If you have issues with flicker, you could set your camera to one push bracketing +/- and use the TriggerTrap to trigger each set of brackets. You'll have more shots to sort through at the end, but just start with the middle shots and you'll have the others to switch in as needed to eliminate any flicker.

If you can spare an extra day, running a set on Av mode would be a simple way to get an idea of start / middle / end shutter speeds and times so you can Bramp with the TriggerTrap the next day.

07-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #9

I was planning to grab the sunrise from total starry night-sky, thru sunrise. I tried it once using Av, it flickered like hell and got washed out as soon as the sun rose. Sounds like there's no easy way to figure out the bramping values to use based on time and light available, without measuring it.