Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First attempt at focus stacking

I created this with a 6 image stack, using the Hugin tools and changing focus. I had more photos to merge, but around shot # 7 the tripod must have shifted and hugin's image aligner couldn't perform magic with it.

Would like to build a rail system at some point, I think might be better for set up macro shots?

07-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your macro image is not bad. From my experiments it seems that you get the best results from focusing on the nearest point and locking in manual exposure settings.
From there don't change the focus but move the camera towards the subject in small steps exposing an image at each step. The size of each step should be about half of your depth of field so there is an overlap of the "in focus" area on several images.
Keep repeating until you have enough images to cover the entire subject, front to back. The movement of the camera must be perpendicular to the image plane and a remote shutter release will really help.
Most macro subjects are small, say a maximum of 1 inch front to back. If you build a rail system with a total movement of say 2 inches that should cover all your possible requirements. Then you will need a mechanism, perhaps a threaded rod, to control the movement in small but precise increments of say 1/20th of an inch.

I am fooling with that at the moment trying to see if it gives the results I expect. If it does I will tidy it up to end with a working design that looks decent as well or just buy one of the cheaper rail systems from B&H. They have one for $19.95...

I wish you well with your macro photography.
07-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The $20 macro rail from B&H has good reviews. It seems to be tight and adequately precise for movement.
I would recommend the VELBON SUPER MAG SLIDER for just under $130. It has a short right-left and longer fore-aft movement both of which are screw advance, no rack-and-pinion, and consequently allow smaller increments of movement. The bottom section can be removed and by adding a quick-release clamp atop, can be converted into a separate short-travel macro rail (total motion about an inch). If you mount a quick release on any macro rail, I would recommend paying the extra $ and getting a clamp with a panoramic base. That makes it easier to precisely adjust the lens axis to be exactly parallel to the movement of the device.
07-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dot Line Adjustable Camera Platform (6.0") DL-0322 B&H

Anton, WPRESTO. Is this $20 system from B&H you mentioned?

07-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks wpresto, I didn't realize you can buy them for so little. I might try to make one still, for $8 I can probably make something out of wood with a dovetailed slider and a threaded rod, then I'll move up from there if needed.

Thanks for the info Anton!
07-05-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote

Yes, that's the one. From the reviews you can tell that its not up to the professional standards of some of the far more pricey alternatives but will probably be better than anything I could cobble together.
07-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently received my Oben MFR4-5 macro rail from B&H:

Oben MFR4-5 Macro Focusing Rail MFR4-5 B&H Photo Video

quite happy with the quality and build of the rail - still working on my technique and practicing, but this information is invaluable:

QuoteQuote:
From my experiments it seems that you get the best results from focusing on the nearest point and locking in manual exposure settings.
From there don't change the focus but move the camera towards the subject in small steps exposing an image at each step. The size of each step should be about half of your depth of field so there is an overlap of the "in focus" area on several images.
Keep repeating until you have enough images to cover the entire subject, front to back. The movement of the camera must be perpendicular to the image plane and a remote shutter release will really help.
Most macro subjects are small, say a maximum of 1 inch front to back. If you build a rail system with a total movement of say 2 inches that should cover all your possible requirements. Then you will need a mechanism, perhaps a threaded rod, to control the movement in small but precise increments of say 1/20th of an inch.

07-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote

Yes, that is the super-bargain macro rail (not the more expensive Velbon unit). Notice there are 31 reviews with essentially a 5 out of 5 rating. A rating that high by that many photographers doing macro indicates to me that it may not be the best unit for really critical work, it is very good, even excellent for a beginner and at $20 an no-argument outstanding bargain. If you have any reservations, read through the reviews and you will almost certainly read comments noting any shortcomings of the unit.