Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do It Yourself Light Box

Sorry if this is a repost!

While surfing and looking for a DIY lightbox, I ran across this site:

Light Box / Light Tent Photo Gallery by Bill Huber at pbase.com

The guy did an excellent write up on it, and it's exactly what I was looking for. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in order.

07-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can also do the strobist style one using a cardboard box and tracing paper...even cheaper and folds up easily.

Be aware that if you try photographic highly reflective objects such as pearl jewelry, the reflections will show your lightbox is fairly high detail :-p
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can also do the strobist style one using a cardboard box and tracing paper...even cheaper and folds up easily.

Be aware that if you try photographic highly reflective objects such as pearl jewelry, the reflections will show your lightbox is fairly high detail :-p
I saw the strobist one but it's awful flimsy. The one I linked to doesn't fold up, but he recommends not gluing the legs so it can be disassembled and easily stored.

Most of my use will be 1:24 scale models.
07-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

That's also a nice layout because if you make the right kind it can be used for product shots or portrait shots. I have made the card board lightbox but it was not what I was looking for so now I use foam core and it works flawlessly.

07-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I used these instructions to make this light box about a year ago. It worked out well but I realized that I needed better lighting. Where he shows "Blue Back Drop" and screws the bristol board to the pipe I permanently installed a springy paper clip along the pipe so I could quickly change the paper to a different colour.
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Meredith: did you just tape up your foam core? And did you do cutouts? That might help an issue I have w/ trying to take photos of highly reflective cutouts because the foamcore would be white.
J.Scott: another thing you can do is use heavy duty velcro w/ adhesive. Stick on a bunch to the back, stick on a few on the paper and you're all set for a quick change. That's what I do...
07-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
This is my version of DIY light box: http://kimmo.1g.fi/kuvat/Studio/

07-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Meredith: did you just tape up your foam core? And did you do cutouts? That might help an issue I have w/ trying to take photos of highly reflective cutouts because the foamcore would be white.
J.Scott: another thing you can do is use heavy duty velcro w/ adhesive. Stick on a bunch to the back, stick on a few on the paper and you're all set for a quick change. That's what I do...
No, I used pins because I thought it would be easier to put it up/down when needed. Below you will see the inside/outside cutouts and the pins used to secure the box together. I did use tape to secure the wax paper on the cut outs (outside) and for the inside I use freezer paper on the shiny side (back and bottom).

Inside cut out

Outside cut out

Hope that explains what you asked.
07-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like this one.
McGoffs ~ Sydney Daily Photo
07-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, Meredith. I'm going to have to try that idea...the pins is a good idea for breaking it down as well. It should hopefully work for shooting pearls (aka little spherical mirrors) as long as I shoot through a white sheet in the front...
07-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
Cool idea!
07-24-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought this basket (500x400x240 mm) for A$11 today and will modify it to be used as light box. I think it is good enough for not-too-big items. When needed it's not difficult to extend its depth.

Last edited by ddhytz; 07-24-2008 at 04:24 AM.