Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #1

Reading material

Hello,

I am curently reading "On photography" by Susan Sontag and I find it very interesting. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in photography.

I was wondering if you had red other good books relating to photography.
I am not talking about books like "understanding exposure", or any of the books that are supposed to help you take better pictures and that are technique oriented.

I am looking for books that discuss photography, photographs, and photographers.

Thank you!

07-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sacred Earth
Courtney Milne 1991
Western Producer Prairie Books
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Intro by the Dalai Lama.
07-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently I'm enjoying Michael Freeman's recent book, "The Photographer's Eye," which deals with composition and design in a reflective, philosophical way rather than a this-is-how-you-do-it manual style. It's well illustrated and has a rich sample of ideas and quotes from some of the great photographers, art historians, designers, philosophers etc. For sheer visual enjoyment and inspiration I've been browsing through my dog-eared copy of "The Family of Man" catalogue from 1955 (I was only 11 years old and missed the exhibition itself, alas) and "Australian Photography 1976", ed. Laurence Le Guay, which I picked up for $5 in a secondhand bookshop.
I'm glad you started this post. For me photography is as much about what I can learn about myself as it is a matter of putting ideas and images in front of other people and I get great inspiration from reading other people's notions of what photography is all about.
07-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up Ansel Adams' "Examples: the making of 40 photographs", where he picked out 40 of his images and described what was going through his mind at the time he made the image, as well as his photographic style and some technical info. I haven't actually read it yet, but it looks like it will be a good one.

I also picked up "The Photographer's Eye" as well and I'm looking forward to that read, as well.

Another thing I've been doing lately is looking at other people's images more closely and figuring out what I like about them so I can incorporate elements of their own style into mine.

A couple more books that are on my "to buy" list include:
Amazon.com: Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs: Ansel Adams, Andrea G. Stillman: Books
Amazon.com: The Life of a Photograph: Sam Abell: Books (this one doesn't come out until October)

Heather