Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is yours the Di version? Mine doesn't have the KA adapter, just the K adapter.

07-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

no, not the DI; the last of the Adaptall-2 models, before the AF versions came along...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-sp-mf-90mm-f2-8-macro-1-1-72b.html

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 07-19-2016 at 08:54 AM.
07-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well when I bought mine from Adorama, they told me it would need an adapter, I didn't know there were other adapters I could have bought at that time so I ended up with the K not the KA. Wish I had known I could have gotten the KA for it. But it really doesn't matter this one works fine.
07-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

KA adapters are still available - I find them here in the Marketplace, eBay, etc..... makes the lens an 'A' lens and that is worth the extra money the KA adapters cost...

07-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, you know what. I asked that question of the Adaptall mount club members and no one answered me that I recall. Now that you have said this, I'll be looking for one. Thanks for the heads up.
07-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Well, you know what. I asked that question of the Adaptall mount club members and no one answered me that I recall. Now that you have said this, I'll be looking for one. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm only speaking of the 72B - I have no experience with the prior models' ability to use the 'A' contacts in the K-mount (I would not state something that I have no knowledge of...)

if the prior models cannot use the 'A' contacts, spending the money for a KA Adaptall-2 adapter would only waste your money....
07-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, the 52B is out, really would like one that uses no adapters to get 1:1. I'll look for the 72B. It is manual focus correct? I don't really need KA, as I will be shooting all manual and set my aperture by my flash output. And 2.5 or 2.8 doesn't matter, I try to shoot macros at f8-f16 anyway. Thanks all.

07-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm only speaking of the 72B
On the side of mine it is embedded "72B" so I guess that makes mine the 72B....
07-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
On the side of mine it is embedded "72B" so I guess that makes mine the 72B....

cool - good thing you looked!
07-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

cool - good thing you looked!
Yeah, should have done that earlier too. LOL

Btw, I've been to the bay and found some of the PKA adapters...........but they are in the UK. Not sure about buying across the pond though. Never have done that.
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah - the search parameters for them can be kinda tricky - I've used 'adaptall p' or 'adaptall pk' or 'adaptall ka' and variations there of..... sometimes you get lucky and even find one attached to a lens that could be interesting....
07-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

sometimes you get lucky and even find one attached to a lens that could be interesting....
Thought about that too but after buying two K10Ds this month, I need to tone down my buying a bit, plus my daughter has a birthday next month and she's not into cameras like I am. She uses her phone.
07-19-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

also about buying from overseas sellers on eBay - I've done it many times, never really had any issues....
07-19-2016, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have 52BB with original ext, tube (18F) that allows to go to 1:1 and with following adaptall-2 mounts: Nikon Ai, Pentax K and PKA, Olympus OM and Canon FD. I am original owner and used this lens first on Nikon SLR's than DSLR's and now I am using it occasionally on Pentax K with A contacts to allow me full metering. This lens is 2.5 and the focus throw is excellent for very precise manual focus. I do not think that ext. tube for native 1:1 is troublesome and keeps the lens long focus throw and if needed 1:1 than it acts more as limiter switch. The tube works with A contacts as well and there is specific way how to mount and dismount the adaptall-2 A adaptor in order to work. I have manuals for the lens and designated tube. This lens acts excellent for portraits as well and last time I used it is way back with Nikon SLR's and delivered fantastically . With Pentax system I never used it for portraits or macros as I am rare making macros and have other AF macros (70mm and 105mm).

It is ultimately your decision (OP) with which lens you will go.

I will put soon this lens into marketplace as I do not use it but anyone can always PM me for more info if you like.
07-19-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
I really don't want auto focus, which I find useless for macro and I use catch in focus exclusively when shooting macro which requires a manual focus lens, I think?
Its a little more complicated than that. It needs a lens that is in MF mode. This means you can either use a manual focus lens (with a conductive K-mount!) or switch the lens from AF to MF (problem here is that most DA and DFA lenses do not have AF/MF button at all! This is a trend with modern lenses in general, unfortunately).
There are some workarounds, like tweaking an AF lens to make it MF, but those are generally not recommended.

So, yes, for CiF you would have best bet to use an older lens, or use a new DA/DFA lens with non-AF extension tube (but this can cause another problem - most DA/DFA lenses don't have aperture ring, so you can get stuck at f22 or worse). That said, I hardly ever use any kind of focusing on the lens when doing macro. And the focus confirm hexagon in the viewfinder still appears, or you can use live view with Focus peaking if your camera has it. Just giving you some alternatives to think about.
Pentax A 100mm f2.8 would be a good choice, though. It is MF, but it has A-mode and aperture ring. Very versatile. Note that there are two versions of A 100mm macro, and the better one is a little expensive. Honestly, the Samyang 100mm might be your best bet overall