Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the eyes of a seven-year-old

Our seven-year-old nephew spent a couple days with us this past week. One of the activities we did was spend part of a day at one of the local state parks here in Minnesota with his younger sister and mom. I gave him my *ist DL with my ZX-7 kit lens (28-70mm) and told him to "go nuts with it"! He has never used a camera before in his life!

I know he is a bright one, but now I know he also has an artistic eye. Take a look at these examples. These were taken without any coaching. He just composed and shot away!

He actually took 5 shots of this butterfly. With each shot, he snuck a little closer to try to get more of it in the frame. He looked just like he was hunting it! Just a millisecond after this shot, it flew away. He caught it at just the right moment with it's wings ready for flight!

I love how the water is "forming" around his sisters hands! No question what the subject matter is here.

For a seven-year-old, he really nailed this one if you think of the basic landscape rules. He used the rule of thirds for the walkers. He also put them on the left side so they look like they are walking into the picture along the curved path. On top of that, he figured out it looked better holding the camera in portrait!

Of course, some of this is probably "beginners luck" and I know he hasn't a clue about photographic "rules", but the fact that he was able to pull off these shots shows he has the artistic basics even if he doesn't know what they are called. It was just instinct in his child's mind. Oh to be seven again!!

When we got home, he was all excited to look at them on the computer. I couldn't believe how great some of these were! With no coaching! Honestly! He has never picked up a camera before in his life!

Of course there were about 4 dozen pictures of just trees and grass, some in and some out of focus, but who of us hasn't done that! I am truly a proud uncle!

07-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
For a seven-year-old, he really nailed this one if you think of the basic landscape rules. He used the rule of thirds for the walkers. He also put them on the left side so they look like they are walking into the picture along the curved path. On top of that, he figured out it looked better holding the camera in portrait!...
Totally agree. Your nephew nailed this one (forest path) like a true pro. Donīt care if begginers luck or if he was coached by some alien... who cares. You've got a rough diamond in hand. Help him shine at his best as he will probably do if correctly encouraged.

RB
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

That's some really cool stuff, he did a great job.

A new pentaxian in the making!

Next lesson is defending his choice to shoot pentax.....
07-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Next lesson is defending his choice to shoot pentax.....

I gave him the *ist DL and I had my K10D around my neck. I told him we were both using a Pentax and he asks me, "What's a Pentax?"

*sigh* Oh well, I have some work cut out for me! I guess I can take solace in the fact that if I'd been using a Canon, he probably would've thought I was talking about a weapon of some sort!

Kids! Gotta luv 'em!

07-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That middle shot is astounding, truly well seen. The others are well done too. Your side of the family I presume?
07-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
That middle shot is astounding, truly well seen. The others are well done too. Your side of the family I presume?
My side, but a step child. But I'll take it! He's a great kid!
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. These are good shots.

Children are our biggest source of wonder. The more attention we pay to them, the richer we are.

07-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Wow. These are good shots.

Children are our biggest source of wonder. The more attention we pay to them, the richer we are.
well said!
07-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I see no photos !! lol
Edit: I see them now, and yeah, I think he is definitely a future photog !

Last edited by Stratman; 07-21-2008 at 04:27 AM.
07-21-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your nephew indeed does have an "eye". I'm a firm believer in encouraging kids to be creative. Congratualtions! Your nephew may have an "eye" but he also has a great uncle!

NaCl(creativity is one of our greatest gifts, encourage it when ever you can)H2O
07-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

really impressive! The 2o picture (his sister) is great composition and point of view!
07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Fabulous shots! The DOF in the first one is nothing short of excellent. The second shot is truely amazing for anyone to take. The third is WOW - especially knowing how difficult it can be to nail the exposure of treed areas with bright sunlight in the shot too.

Very impressive indeed! Thank you very much for sharing (your camera and the photos)!

c[_]
07-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, he did a very nice job, I'm impressed. And kudos to you also for allowing him to do that, you just may have sparked a creative bug in him that he'll enjoy for years to come.
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Seems he has some natural talent! really nice work
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yep, he does have a good eye already! Really amazing compositions for a kid that has never held a camera before. Tell him we all said he did a great job!

I have fun with my 8 year old son out and about with both of us shooting. He uses an old 2mp Panasonic fz1v2 (10x zoom) that I got for him when he was 5 yrs old, he gets some amazing stuff from it.
My oldest son (23 yrs old) took my 8 yr old to the zoo. They both brought their cameras. When they returned my oldest said, "Mom, don't let Sterling use the camera any more." At first I was confused, but then he leaned over and grinned..."competition" he said. lol Seems my youngest had snagged some shots that impressed his big brother at the zoo. ;-)