Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to shoot fireworks handheld?

I'm going to shoot the game at the stadium, and it will be fireworks after the game. Tripods and monopods are prohibited there.
Is it possible to get really good fireworks pictures without stabilizing the camera, not shooting long exposure?
I plan to use either DA15mm ltd, or DA 21mm ltd. Probably, 15mm will be better.

08-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a bunch of fireworks posted from July 4th taken with an FA 35 - all handheld. Most of my fireworks shots have been handheld.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCuMPZN
08-09-2016, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I got a bunch of nice fireworks shots by sitting my camera on a soft bag and then triggering it with the remote control. I found about 4 seconds seems to be a good starting point - too much longer gets busy and chaotic, less looks boring. I actually used the 18-135. Hard to know where you're going to be sitting and the zoom allows some flexibility. Also, it's not a situation where critical sharpness or bokeh is important. my 5 cents!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-09-2016, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #4

Fireworks can be dangerous! I would really, really recommend you use a fuse and get far away from the firework after lighting it. Also, if it's a rocket or projectile-type, please ensure it is aimed away from people, animals, or buildings.

08-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a bunch of fireworks posted from July 4th taken with an FA 35 - all handheld. Most of my fireworks shots have been handheld.
Thanks, I can figure out how pictures will look at 1/30. Maybe with 15mm I can manage lower speed.

---------- Post added 08-10-16 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I would really, really recommend you use a fuse and get far away from the firework after lighting it.
Don't worry, I'm not in charge to do firework at the stadium even if I want to.

---------- Post added 08-10-16 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I got a bunch of nice fireworks shots by sitting my camera on a soft bag and then triggering it with the remote control. I found about 4 seconds seems to be a good starting point - too much longer gets busy and chaotic, less looks boring.
Looks good. I'm not sure I can stabilize the camera there for 4 sec finding the appropriate surface to put the camera on soft bag, but at least can look around.

Last edited by micromacro; 08-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.
08-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm going to shoot the game at the stadium, and it will be fireworks after the game. Tripods and monopods are prohibited there.
Is it possible to get really good fireworks pictures without stabilizing the camera, not shooting long exposure?
I plan to use either DA15mm ltd, or DA 21mm ltd. Probably, 15mm will be better.
You could always try the image composite idea. It's a lot of work in post processing, but get similar results.

Shoot off 30 1/8 second exposures gets you almost 4 seconds you can stack in PS as a composite.
08-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Shoot off 30 1/8 second exposures gets you almost 4 seconds you can stack in PS as a composite.
It may be a solution. I better practice stacking before trying it.
08-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I got a bunch of nice fireworks shots by sitting my camera on a soft bag and then triggering it with the remote control. I found about 4 seconds seems to be a good starting point - too much longer gets busy and chaotic, less looks boring. I actually used the 18-135. Hard to know where you're going to be sitting and the zoom allows some flexibility. Also, it's not a situation where critical sharpness or bokeh is important. my 5 cents!
i'd try the bag method and use a remote for bulb exposure. i'd also think about which way the wind is heading so that you're not in front of the smoke