Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Moon is incredible right now!

Novice here, Who's out there taking moon shots? Is it worth a try? Do I need a 300mm or better to get a decent shot? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

08-18-2016, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, at least 300mm or more and even then you'll have to crop. The moon is brighter than we think so start with 1/125 @ f/8 and ISO 100 on a tripod and adjust as needed. If hand holding us a shutter speed of at least 1/focal length as in 1/500 with a 500mm lens. Boost the ISO to make up the difference. Good luck shooting the moon.
08-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Yep, at least 300mm or more and even then you'll have to crop. The moon is brighter than we think so start with 1/125 @ f/8 and ISO 100 on a tripod and adjust as needed. If hand holding us a shutter speed of at least 1/focal length as in 1/500 with a 500mm lens. Boost the ISO to make up the difference. Good luck shooting the moon.
Thanks but I'll have to plan for in the future , biggest I have is the SMC A 200mm F4.
08-18-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give it a shot anyway. You might be surprised.

08-18-2016, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've heard of sunny sixteen you will get the gist of Lunar Eleven.

Photos of the moon are a dime a dozen, try putting some interesting foreground in the frame too

Good luck!
08-18-2016, 07:15 PM - 7 Likes   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Who's out there taking moon shots? Is it worth a try? Do I need a 300mm or better to get a decent shot?
I was out trying last night but got 'clouded out'. A bit annoying but I'll see about tonight.

Taking moon shots is great fun, and whilst the longer lens is great you should aim to get the moon and incorporate it with some features on the ground if possible. This is where the focal length can be more flexible and 200mm would be good if you can find the right subject.

Some tips on moon shots:

Bookmark this link to the Photographer's Ephemeris The Photographer's Ephemeris: TPE for Desktop This will help you plan for shots of the moon using the moon cycles and maps of what subjects can be aligned with the moon. This could be mountains, water features, bridges buildings or whatever. I like to compress the distance between the moon and foreground subjects, and the below example is what long telephotos can let you achieve.

For this shot I knew where to set up because of the Ephemeris and used the DA*300 and a 2x converter to get the extra focal length. And some luck to be honest as I only caught a glimpse of the runner approaching as he entered frame and managed to get the timing right to frame him in the middle of the bridge structure.

But you don't need the longer focal lengths if you can get the right subject to work with the moon, here's an example.

This was with the 50-135 at 108mm and again some luck with the fireworks.

However, again planning with the Ephemeris enabled me to identify where to set up to align the cityscape and the moon. The ephemeris is free for a desktop/laptop via the web but the version for your phone requires purchase. Another great app for the phone is Sun Surveyor, it has additional tools and makes a good alternative to the Photographer's Ephemeris. Particularly if you also want to chase the Milky Way. I use the desktop ephemeris for planning and on the phone for checking maps. I'm still learning about Sun Surveyor but I'm finding it is much more useful once you're in location.

The next thing to consider is whether you want a glowing orb or the moon in detail. The second is tricky as has already been pointed out and the best way to get good foreground subject and a detailed moon is multiple exposures and work in post processing. Having said this a better way to simplify the work in post processing is to use the ephemeris to identify where and when the moon will be up whilst the sun is up. This example is a single exposure.

Again it was the 300 and the 2x converter, and there was some dodge/burn in post to get the balance but the sun helps balance out the brightness of the moon against other subjects in the frame.

Here's another example of a single exposure, this time using the DA70mm LTD. So yes, 200mm is plenty for the moon and the right subject.

Just be aware of the loss of moon detail as it approaches the horizon. It will mean that cratered look is lost, however in the B&W image above that problem was managed by using an S curve mask for the moon.

Moon detail is nice but there is no need to ignore the 'glowing moon' effect as it can still achieve some excellent results, particularly with some cloud present.

I also love the detail in the clouds the moon can provide too. Actually, I'd prefer some cloud with the moon to break up the sky. I've been chasing the 1940's werewolf moon and cloud look for a while and for this I don't need lots of detail in the moon.

A good exponent of using the moon as a big beacon is a Canadian bloke on Flickr who's one of my contacts. He's not posted in a while but browse his thread for some of his work with the moon. He's been shooting with Pentax and his stream is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_west/with/12574998015/

The final thing I'd suggest is remember the speed at which the moon will transit through the sky. Again planning helps get the most of your time on location.

I'm no expert at this but I love including the moon in images and I hope that plenty more tips and examples are shared to hook you on it as well.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 08-19-2016 at 04:07 AM.
08-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Thanks but I'll have to plan for in the future , biggest I have is the SMC A 200mm F4.
I've done it with a 200mm. The results weren't bad. It's certainly worth a try

08-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

I'd give it a try just to get some experience shooting that subject.. even if the images aren't great, you'll get a feel for exposing properly to shoot the moon.
08-18-2016, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They say make hay when the sun shines, I say make pictures when the moon shines. I can't be out every night but I try to get out on all of the full moons. I was shut out by clouds last night and this morning when I tried to catch the moonset.
That 200 can be real nice if you find the right foreground, this one is at 200mm and I'm quite a distance away from the barn:

Zooms are nice because you want to get the foreground subject in but also get the moon as big as you can, so the longest focal length you can go is what you want:
This one is only 88mm, but I couldn't go any longer and get the whole theatre in the frame. The moon will always appear larger when it is close to the horizon, that's also when you will get the orangish colors from dust in the atmosphere, which you see through more of when the moon is low..

You have to find a good balanced exposure, too long and you will get the moon's travel and a blur.

Every time I shoot the moon I learn something new.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-19-2016 at 07:41 AM.
08-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Give us in PDT zone another ½-hour hopefully it's coming up near Mt. St.Helens tonight or tomorrow.
I'll let my Quantaray 300/5.6 mirror lens have a go..
08-18-2016, 08:30 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Moon & Tower
K-3II & DFA 150-450

watching it now in CA and it is red but very dim and obscured by clouds. This shot is from last evening.

Last edited by mikeSF; 08-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.
08-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice one mikeSF - goes to show the curve of the earth affects Washington more than Cali when the moon is further south
08-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Nice one mikeSF - goes to show the curve of the earth affects Washington more than Cali when the moon is further south
that is my shot from last evening. I am watching it rise here in CA now and it is very dim and cloudy.
08-18-2016, 08:54 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Up at last - I have a few raws to toy with, here's a jpeg for now..

PENTAX K-50
1/40 -- 300mm -- ISO640
08-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That 200 can be real nice if you find the right foreground
There's a cliff close by overlooking the manhattan skyline , every photographer in the world was out there, it was jammed packed. They all had at least 300mm , one guy had an 800.